• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

I got to pick up my new Cz Bobwhite today. In the sunlight I can see that the wood has a few character marks that didn't show in the dimly lit gun shop, and it turns out that the top lever wears the more desirable chrysanthemum engraving as opposed to the double headed eagle that most of the Cz's have. :signs653wf: Posted Image Posted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Very nice!

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Very good Matt. That is too nice to hunt with. :signs653wf:

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Uh oh, just found a bad flaw in the finish of the gun. The barrels look like they weren't polished properly prior to the black chrome application. In the pic you can see how the breach end got polished nicely but after a few inches they gave up. This one is probably going to be sent back. :signlol2iu: Posted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

I have to admit to having a soft spot for SXSs. and the CZs Ive seen are pretty cool. good luck with sending it back. DR

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Very nice addition and sorry about the flaw :D . I always hate that exact moment when you realize it is a flaw and not the sunlight. Sorry to hear.I noticed you went with a double trigger clampdaddy, so I would like to ask you (or others) a question about that. I have been looking real hard in recent years at side by each hammerless, but am leaning towards a single trigger. The reason for that is that I have what one co-worker referred to as "sausage fingers" and cant help but think they would get in the way with a second trigger. Would this be true? Or is their THAT much of an advantage having a second trigger? My simple mind tells me less triggers would equal less confusion, but I have to admit to having extremely little time behind shotguns with more than 1 barrel. I do know that I do not care for the over/under setup. But It is next to impossible to be able to compare a single and double trigger side by side out before buying, so any personal thoughts would sure help out this simple mind of mine, thanks.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Single triggers do have their place but for me a double trigger is the only way to go. It's just a more versatile set up for a do it all double barrel. A lot of double triggers look like they're really close together but they are staggered slightly so the rear trigger isn't actually right behind the front one. My dad has big fingers too and he shoots double triggers. You'll just have to try one and see what you think.If I were strictly busting clay, hunting flushed birds, or running the same choke in both barrels I'd run a single trigger and never look back. Flushing birds are almost always flying away from you so you set up the gun to fire the open choke first, the tighter choke second, and you don't really mess with the barrel selector. For shooting clay you have time to select your first barrel before you even step into the box. When hunting birds like dove, ducks, or crow some times they are flying towards you and some times they're flying away from you. For this reason I much prefer a double trigger because it is much quicker to chose which barrel you want to fire first. This is why I think a DT is a better set up for a hunting gun. With a single trigger you would be having to constantly mess with the barrel selector. To me that's like being in a drag race, the light turns green, but your car is in fourth gear.......oh crap, shift back to first, now go!I've had buddys that thought double triggers would be hard to master but after a box of shells they've all had it down and could pick their barrels much easier than with my single trigger over under. I ended up selling the single trigger gun after one dove season.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

Many thanks clampdaddy. Gives me a lot to think about. It would be 99.99% a "flushing" gun as I would use it to replace my old faithful boat anchor 1100 while walking for quail and chukar since I will probably end up losing the 20ga 870 to the nephew that was filling this slot. But I can see what you mean about having instant selection for other types of hunting for sure. That explains why I hear about the advantages of the two triggers. As I am not the fastest by any means to shoulder a shotgun, it would surely almost always be a mod and full choke. However, it would be my luck that I would love it so much I would want to use it for everything and regret a single trigger. Oh well, I now have a few things to really kick around during the lulls while dove hunting. Thank you very much again for your thoughts and experience on the matter, and again, hope you have an easy time with the fix on your blemished new girl. Are you going to try and get it resolved by the dove opener? Either way, hope it's an easy, painless fix for ya.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

No problem Bisley, and have fun gun shopping. I always like to see a hunter "discover" the side by side. I just love the nostalgic feeling that a side by side adds to a hunt. The way I see it, if God intended man to shoot an over/under he would've put our eyes the same way. :653:

#10 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

With SxS usually the first trigger is for the close shots and the second is for the longer ones. I love my SxS!

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

So we never did hear clampdaddy. Did you get that beautiful (even if flawed) SxS taken care of in time for this opener? Curious minds wanna know (and also how it shoots).

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

Nope, unfortunately its still at the Cz warranty shop. :lol:

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Just got off the phone with the Cz warranty department. They told me that they finally got around to inspecting my gun and they ate going to replace it. Last time I spoke with them I had mentioned that the triggers were a bit heavy but they said that they don't do trigger jobs at that center. They had one replacement gun there but they didn't think I'd be happy with the weight of its triggers so they are waiting for their next shipment of guns so they can pick out a good one for me. :lol:

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

My replacement gun is home safe and sound. The rear stock doesn't have as much figure as the other gun but the barrels look much better. Hopefully I'll get to pattern it today or tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users