8 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

I'm getting the itch to experiment again ( thats how I found out that Nosler CC's as good as Bergers at half the price). Is the Nosler .30 caliber 125 grain ballistic tip to explosive to use in a .308 for deer or hogs? I'm wondering if this would make a really big varmint bullet or a good light weight hunting bullet.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

A lot of guys use them for deer bullets in handguns. The lower velocity from the shorter barrel tones down the explosive effect. I've also heard of guys using them on Antelope because they are pretty small and often taken at long range where the bullet has shed some velocity. If loaded down to 30-30 velocities it would probably be a good bullet for a low recoil kids load but I'd be afraid to use it at full .308 velocities.

#3 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info. This might make a good choice for a 20" .30RAR upper for my AR 15.

#4 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:17 PM

I shoot the 125 gr balistic tip in my 300 whisper..Both in my T/C and ar upper..its a very accurate bullet..if you look under the various 300 websites they mention it alot..good luck glenn

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Yeah if you are looking for a lighter bullet, it should work well on Deer. There are other light .308 bullets that should hold together a bit better like Sierra pro hunter, Barnes TTSX, Hornady Spire Point etc. I have been playing with the same idea with my Mosin and 30-06. I use the 123gr Hdy SP and the 110gr TTSX in the Mosin and they both shoot well. Killed a 150lb pig with the Hdy SP so far.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

They work well for our deer and pronghorns. I would never use them on hogs.

#7 tomj

tomj

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Clampdaddy, Why not run them at 308 fps ?

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

They work fine at max loads in 308win/30-06 and even slightly less than max in 300win mag. The Speer 130gr HP works even better in a 308win or 30-06 for deer/pronghorns. Never tried it in a 300mag.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Clampdaddy, Why not run them at 308 fps ?

If they're designed to be explosive on ground squirrels at full .308 or 30-06 velocities it isn't a bullet I'd want to use on a deer. They'd probably be great on a perfect broadside shot thru the ribs but I like a bullet that is capable of deep penetration and the ability to break big bones. You never know what kind of shot you're going to get so I say load for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users