• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Seems awfully inexpensive....TALONP AIR PISTOLThe TalonP sets a new standard in air pistol power levels. Designed to deliver over 50ft. lbs. of energy with a .25 caliber hunting pellet, this pistol is for the serious hunter wanting a compact, yet powerful hunting tool.MSRP $421.00 Expected Ship Date 8-31-2011Posted Image

#2 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

Sure smokes the p-rod and I bet it has a lot less problems too. What are the specs, length, weight, shot count and how loud is it???

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Who knows on most of that stuff. You can easily put a LDC on it but that will add $100. It basically sounds like my Stubby in power and the same barrel. Shot count would be maybe 10-15 with that little tank to get that energy level with a 12" barrel. I am going to guess about 4 lbs. Its a Talon with a 12" barrel and a light tank and a high powered valve/hammer setup.

#4 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

Are you going to get one or do you think it's better to spend twice as much and get the stubby extream?

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

The main difference in cost is the Maddog stock and the larger tank (Basically $275 for the stock and $100 difference in tanks. I prefer the shot count with the 490cc tank and the hi-flo Condor valve in Stubby but performance with 26 gr JSBs or Predators is only 36-37 fpe instead of 50 fpe. I can switch the Extreme valve/tank from my Condor to Stubby to get the > 50 fpe and I have a shot count of 20+. The TalopP is a less expensive way to get into a powerful pistol on the plus side. I really like the Maddog stock on these guns, though, and it makes them very comfortable to shoot. I am a little concerned abotu what the TalonP shot count will actually be.One thing I should add. I like dealing with R&L Airgun Supplies. Randy bends over backwards to help you and will customize anything you want at very reasonable prices. Airforce has good customer service but they are not in the customizing business which is where some of the real value is in these guns.

#6 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Couldnt you mod the pistol and put a little bigger tank on it or you could turn down the power a little and get a higher shot count as I cant see shooting the pistol past 50 yards so you wouldnt need 50+fpe for 50 yards or less.

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't know if [they] AF have changed anything that might keep you from putting the larger tank on it but I suspect not. The power wheel adjust offers relatively small changes as it is just a preloading on the hammer spring that strikes the top hat for each shot. You may be able to adjust the top hat setting gap lower to reduce power though and stretch out the air quite a bit.My longest lucky shot on a squirrel with Stubby and the hi-flo valve was 87 yards off of the hood of my car in my driveway and using a rangefinder and the 36-37 fpe was very adequate for squirrel sized quarry. I got a few opossums also at about 35 yards and they went right down.

#8 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

For the money I think this might be a good gun for my son to take hunting with me, I'm also looking at a P11 for back yard plinking too.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

He would have a lot of hunting power and accuracy. The LW 12" .25 barrels on these are excellent. I am sure this gun would be completely modifyable if desired like the rest of the AF line.

#10 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

What all do you reccomend we do to or get for the gun?

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

A $10 Pachmeyer rubber finger grip (the CZ 75 size - I have on my Condor) and in my neighborhood I would need to a shroud (R&Ls shorty w/ front barrel bushing replacement so it is screw on) because it will be loud w/o it. The smaller tank will have a great cheek weld and I would use it like a carbine rather than a pistol with a rifle scope. My preference would be a lighter side focus medium variable power scope with a mil dot reticle.

#12 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

First I've heard of this. I like!

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

It kind of got delayed while Airforce worked on a valve/power system that would have the oomph to generate 50 fpe with a heavy pellet somewhat efficiently. I suspect they started with the Condor Hammer, springs, and valve and went from there. They told me the valve was being worked on maybe 2 months ago when I inquired about the TalonP. Looks like they priced it very aggressively (low) to compare with maybe the Marauder pistol.

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Pyramyd posted some numbers on the Talon Phttp://www.pyramydai...Air_Pistol/2400With 43.2 grain pellets, you can expect a max velocity of 760 fps. With a 25-grain pellet, you can expect a max velocity of 850 fps.0.25" 760 ft/secMeasured with 43.2-gr. ammo 55.42 ft/lbsMeasured with 43.2-gr. 41 FPE with JSB KingsUp to 30 shots on low power & up to 12 shots on high power My Stubby with Condor hi-flo valve gets about 800 fps with JSB Kings. With the Extreme valve it gets about 900 fps (20 shots).That sucka is going to be loud. I would definitely consider the R&L short shroud and front bushing replacement for this beast.

#15 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

But is it worth it? You should be able to get one for around $369 with coupon code discount.

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:45 AM

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Compare it to a Marauder pistol. 12" Lothar Walther barrel and nearly 4 times the energy. Tank is just over 3 times larger. It is a powerful hunter. The cons are noise and single shot although I really don't consider that an issue with the speed of reloading.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Airforce finally posted detailed specs on their web site for the Talon P. Will eventually be all calibers the user manual states.http://www.airforcea...lonP_manual.pdfmodel U1080-0001 .25 CaliberLightweightRecoilessLothar Walther BarrelPressure Relief DeviceAdjustable PowerDetachable Air TankAvailable In Black FinishTechnical Specs:•Velocity 400-1,200 f.p.s., depends on caliber, pellet weight and power setting•Fill pressure 3,000 psi/ 206 bar (only use compressed air or dry nitrogen)•Weight 3.5 lbs.•Length 24.2 inches•Barrel 12 inches•Action Single-shot•Caliber .25•Trigger 2-stage sporting trigger•Safety Automatic on cocking•Air tank 213 cc•Sights Open or optical may be installedTalonPThe TalonP is made for power. It will shoot heavy pellets faster thanmost air rifles. When you shoot the heaviest pellets, you can dial thepower up all the way and the rifle will be capable of great power withfine accuracy.You can get about 10 shots at the highest power setting, and up to 20shots if you are willing to accept a broader velocity range. The thing todo is shoot the airgun at perhaps 20 yards or more, and see how manyshots will group well before the lowering velocity starts to lower theimpact point of the pellet.The TalonP can also be dialed down in power and still shoot light tomedium weight pellets quite fast.

#18 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

The few guys testing the Talon P the last few days say they are a real hit. Basically, AirForce has taken a more expensive modified Talon, added .a better valve, .25 barrel, and lowered the price to $399 ($360 at Pyramyd). The guys are actually getting the 55 fpe with 43 grain Eunjins and shot count as advertised. Airforce is also coming out with some kind of carbine stock for it. The Power Wheel is giving quite a bit of latitude on power and shot count. I would add a shroud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users