13 replies to this topic

#1 Paul R

Paul R

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

First post!! :)I shoot several different rounds and have reloaded lost in the past and just recently got back into it.I loaded up a bunch of test rounds for my new Savage 12FV in .223.Trying out some 8208XBR. Federal once fired brass (in this gun) with a Nosler 55gr ballistic tip on it. Went to the range and several rounds will not chamber in the rifle, seems that below the shoulder the cases had expanded by .005" causing the cases not to chamber. I neck sized the cases only.Has anyone ever had this happen? What could cause this to happen?Thanks in advance!Paul

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

I neck sized the cases only.

STOP it then; as there in lies the biggest part of your problem. Also, you gain no more accuracy by neck sizing. Even some of the TOP bench rest shooters full length size. AND make sure your cases are not too long.8208 can be an excellent powder in some 223's. Try somewhere between 27-28grs with a 40 gr Nosler (of course) bullet. Start lower, as that is a full house (SCREAMING) load. Flatter trajectory in other words, along with less muzzle jump and recoil. A win, win, win situation all the way around. If that load won't work, then 28.5 grs of Benchmark with same 40gr bullet should and at nearly 3800 fps. COOL... I get high on SPEEEEED! OH... And Welcome to the Forum :smiley-birthday: Frank

#3 Paul R

Paul R

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Frank.I have a few empties that are just neck sized and they drop in without any issues.I will be full case sizing the next test set and see what happens. I want to find the OCW so I can load these up on my Dillon 650 press.Frank, I see your in Long Beach, where do you shoot locally?? I belong to a private club.Thanks,Paul

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

Welcome, Paul. I had that problem reloading for my friend's Rem 700 LTR .308 Win. Once-fired Federal brass neck sized sometimes would fail to chamber in his rifle. So I full length size everything now. Frank, do your case mouths crack sooner with those speeds? The hot loads I slowly worked up to for my .223 Rem with H335 would split the case mouths after about 5 or 6 firings. I was using 25.0 gr H335 with a Sierra Gameking 65 gr doing just over 3,000 fps. So I backed it off a half grain to 24.5 to get longer case life (just as accurate, too).

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Paul, I go to the Angeles Range close to where the 210 & 5 fwys meet. Exactly 2 miles north of foothill blvd on Osborne st.It takes me almost an hour to drive there, which really sucks. Plus I almost always go on either Monday, Tuesday or Wed's only. Thursdays the police are allowed to have the entire range whenever they choose and Fridays are almost as busy as the weekends, with all the gang bangers out there. Too bad we couldn't use them(gangters) as targets. Now that would be TRUE justice!Good Luck on your reloadingFrank

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:52 AM

Mike, gotta run, but will be right back. The short answer is no, on my case necks splitting with hot loads... I'll explain more later... thx

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:52 AM

Frank, do your case mouths crack sooner with those speeds? The hot loads I slowly worked up to for my .223 Rem with H335 would split the case mouths after about 5 or 6 firings.

Mike, it has been many years since I loaded brass more than 5 or 6 times. Of course I did have case splitting problems back then but just don't remember the details. I no longer keep brass after 4 times of loading & thus (almost) never have splitting problems. And all my loads are max as we both know. lolAnyway, a couple of the biggest reasons for case splitting IMO is due to poor lots from the factory &/or old, brittle (fired) cases. Letting the cases getting too long & over max length can be another. Dies, or not setting them right could be another, but probably not as likely. Probably? Can be a number of possibilities! Also, ALL manufacturers of brass can & do produce bad lots of brass including the TOO expensive Lapua, Nosler etc. Buying the more expensive stuff will not eliminate this problem in other words as some mistakenly believe. Oh, and yes, reduced loads would increase brass life, but I see no point in that, in a "hunting" round. While each barrel & chamber is different & can certainly have different ceiling levels of pressure, on "avg" your max 223 load, exlusively, does not sound like the problem to me. Possible of course, however? It does sound like the load may (or may not) be a tad (1/2 gr or ?) higher than should be, especially if the (consistent) accuracy is still there at the slightly less powder charge. But again?Clear as mud, eh? lol But hope this helps... a littleFrank

#8 Paul R

Paul R

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Paul, I go to the Angeles Range close to where the 210 & 5 fwys meet. Exactly 2 miles north of foothill blvd on Osborne st.It takes me almost an hour to drive there, which really sucks. Plus I almost always go on either Monday, Tuesday or Wed's only. Thursdays the police are allowed to have the entire range whenever they choose and Fridays are almost as busy as the weekends, with all the gang bangers out there. Too bad we couldn't use them(gangters) as targets. Now that would be TRUE justice!Good Luck on your reloadingFrank

Frank, it takes me about an hour to get to my range as well, but being a private club, I usually have the range to myself during the week! We have a 250 yard rifle range and a 50 yard pistol range as well as trap and skeet. The Riverside County Swat team uses our club, but members take president. They are usually there on Wednesdays. Paul

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

Federal once fired brass (in this gun) with a Nosler 55gr ballistic tip on it. Went to the range and several rounds will not chamber in the rifle, seems that below the shoulder the cases had expanded by .005" causing the cases not to chamber. I neck sized the cases only.Has anyone ever had this happen? What could cause this to happen?Thanks in advance!Paul

As stated, neck sized rounds will sometimes start fitting pretty snug. I'd opt for a properly setup F/L die that is set to bump back the shoulder .002"But for the .005 expanded section just below the shoulder? You might be running your case into the seating crimp (if it has one) and are slightly collapsing your case. If your cases are varying in length, the longer ones may be running into the crimper. Maybe try running your seater up one turn or trim all your brass to one length.

but members take president.

You mean precedent Obama? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Also, if you are going to reuse the brass a bunch of time with full length resizing, learn to case neck anneal them as your brass will last a long time!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#11 Paul R

Paul R

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

As stated, neck sized rounds will sometimes start fitting pretty snug. I'd opt for a properly setup F/L die that is set to bump back the shoulder .002"But for the .005 expanded section just below the shoulder? You might be running your case into the seating crimp (if it has one) and are slightly collapsing your case. If your cases are varying in length, the longer ones may be running into the crimper. Maybe try running your seater up one turn or trim all your brass to one length.You mean precedent Obama? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I hate spellchecker!! :)No seating crimp, running these in a bolt action so no crimp needed.Thanks,Paul

#12 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info on case mouth splitting, Frank. That does help. I think my cases were getting a bit brittle by the sixth firing without annealing.

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

I use a neck crimping die just so the bullet doesn't move around, but a full seating crimp is crushing your shoulder is what it sounds like.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#14 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

No seating crimp, running these in a bolt action so no crimp needed.Thanks,Paul

Most seating dies for bottleneck cartridges have a crimp machined in them. Shooting these from a bolt action is irrelevant....you could shoot cannelured bullets or crimped rounds from your bolt action if you wanted. I'd back off the seater die a 1/2 turn.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users