#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

I'm probably the 3rd owner of a 10/22 carbine that has seen relatively little use (so far). I just ran the serial number and found out it was built in 1977. Manufacturers make changes in quality and materials (often for the worse) to protect their profits. Can I assume that this rifle was better built than more recent production years? My question:Where can I go to get good info on what was good and bad about the 10/22's built at that time? There are far too many Google hits for me to know the best source for good info on this popular gun. I'm curious to learn the smartest things I could easily do to improve/modify that rifle without spending a ton of money. My ultimate plan is to make this my young son's first rifle.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Rimfirecentral.com will be able to answer all your questions and more.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 DesertDog

DesertDog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

That was my first rifle, I still have it and it was built sometime around 1976 Im guessing, thats when I got it new from Grandad. Still going strong. although its gone thru some changes. Im getting one for my daughter soon, shes 9.

#4 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

two allen heads hold the barrel on, take it off and clean with wipe out. if the trigger has not been lightened up thats next. mine is about that age and has been shot a lot,will shoot about as well as the target models, have fun stephen

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Love my 1970 rec & fingergrove stock . But the previous owner put a match target bbl on it with a REALLY tight chamber ( not much cheap stuff will feed into it & it even shaves Eley slightly ) and he did a trigger job to it . Most people like the stock as they do not see many / any fingergrove stocks . I think they made them better then , than now . Went out a week ago & took mine for a kid to shoot but someone else brought one . He said it was " new " & it needed to oiled / cleaned but the mag would not release unless the mag release was pulled & bolt was moved slightly to rear before it would drop the mag . That just sounded wrong within itself . I have not / do not clean my gun . I have only used Wolf Match Target for atleast 7k & it will run the Fed Automatch without issue . I do use a toothbrush to remove shavings from the breech but thats it . And it runs fine . So dont understand why his gun was doing that . Andy

#6 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

New magazines need to be cleaned. There is plenty about this on rimfire central. Short story is to take the magazine out and blast it with carburetor cleaner. Then airblast it (gas station). Then take some silicon spray and blast the magazine with that. Then airblast again. Bet it shoots fine after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users