2 replies to this topic

#1 X EAGLE 23 X

X EAGLE 23 X

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hey guys, this past week some buddies and I took a boat out on Mission Bay for some fishing and did pretty well. We mostly used anchovies for live bait and then threw out some swimbaits as well. My first catch was a 21 1/2 in. Halibut (just a mere 1/2in. short of the legal length).Posted ImageWe ended up mostly getting Spotted Bay Bass, we ended up with 10 keepers in one day. But a big thrill and surprise to me was when I hooked a Sand Shark. This being my first time doing any saltwater fishing, it definitely got the adrenaline going even thought it was just a small one. Posted ImageAnother day we went out to the San Diego Bay and I hooked up on something big. I'm assuming it was another shark because it fought just like the smaller one did, and it put up a good fight before snapping my 15lb. test line. So all-in-all it was a good experience and has left me anxiously awaiting my next trip!

#2 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Nice! It's always nice to tangle with the spotties. Caught a ton of those out of Newport, Mission and San Diego bay. A very cool fish to catch on light tackle. You'd be surprised at the size of the halibut back in those bays. Caught quite a few in the 12-15 pound range on small tackle. They love the curly tail grubs bounced off the bottom.That shark is called a grey smooth hound. They get a heck of a lot bigger than that and fun as well.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Way to go on the fish. The ocean has a lot of different species that are a lot of fun to catch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users