• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

I've been reading about 260 lately. Long, skinny, high BC long range bullets. I was thinking about it today, how long and skinny can you get before you get diminishing returns, or what is the downside? I was thinking about light bullets from my '06 vs the 260 bullets in the same weight. Need to look into the ballistics.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

The 260 will shoot the 142 grain SMKs to 1,000 yards. The point of diminishing returns is when the bullet is so heavy that it cannot be started out fast enough to maintain supersonic velocity at your intended range.It's like trying to shoot the 220 grain SMKs out of a 308 Win. You just can't get enough velocity out of it to use the higher BC effectively.

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

When using longer bullets you can reach a point where the standard factory rifling twist won't stabilize the bullets in flight. This will result in a severe degradation of accuracy.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

I got some Berger 130 gr VLD's and reloaded them for my Rem 260. They look pretty cool, long and sleek. I shot a buck in D13 last season with the Barnes 120 gr TTSX in my 260 Rem and it did a great job. The lead free 120 TTSX is pretty long also.

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

This post reminded me of the first time I saw my grandfather's 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer. The bullets were so long I could hardly believe it. http://www.auctionar...emnum=7824845.0

#6 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

The longer and skinnier the bullet the faster you have to spin it to get it to stabilize properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users