2 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Doing a shoulder Coyote mount, I'm using the upper and lower jaws, for the upper I cut just past the eye sockets to get the best look. I don't have to deal with any brain tissue, all of the meat, flesh is scraped away and the top jaw is cored out from nose opening straight threw. At this point I was going to boil both pieces and scrap away whatever is left. For the mount most of this will be covered. What should I finish it off with? Seeing how much time goes into a mount, I understand why they costs so much.ThanksTony

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Are you trying to replace the head on the form with the form? or are you just trying to get the teeth? Because honestly you are gonna make more work for yourself by using the skull.. You need to clean the skull, degrease it.. set the teeth, seal the skull... etc Boiling affects the skull integrity, simmer if you must do it that way. Otherwise Id have someone like Jeff T (Sacramento Skull Works) clean, degrease and set the teeth for you... Next your going to have to build up all that muscle and meat you cleaned off the skull.. Using critter clay or some other medium that doesnt shrink or crack.. Since your not using the form you wont be tucking the lips youll need to glue them down. really... Id just use the head on the form..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the tips, This will be my first Coyote mount and I wanted to give it the best look I can, so I want to include the dogs own upper and lower jaws, I plan to boil or simmer as you have suggested, clean and degrease, reset the teeth and replace this with the portion of the form I will be cutting out, I also have ordered a tongue, eyes, ear liners and the critter clay. The cape is being done at Golden State Tannery in Turlock. To be honest this is more work then I planned on but hope the end result is worth it. I was a great hunting memory and I want this dog to look as he was.Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users