• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

I found this critter eating my grapes the other day. I thought I'd better discourage her from coming around before she moved on to my chickens. A chest shot at 10 ft from my .22 cal Airarms Prosport took care of the problem. She weighed in at about 25 lbs. Attached File  1.jpg   17.83KB   11 downloads

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

She will make a mighty fine hat. Did you skin her? If you dont want it, i'll take the hide

#3 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

ditto! check out USA FOXX.http://www.usafoxx.c...Fur_Catalog.pdf

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Sorry Dave, the skin is already gone. If any more wander in though I will deffinately keep it for you.

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

Haha, I was halfway joking, but wouldnt mind having the hide. I am trying a Home-Tanning kit on some rabbits and a squirrel hide right now. We'll see how they turn out. Might set up the cage trap in the backyard and see if I can trap a coon. There is "hand prints" on my gate from them climbing into my yard.Wouldnt mind having a skunk hide, but dont know how I would skin one without stinking up the whole block hahaha. Wife would kill me....Torrance is loaded with critters

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Yes they will move on to your chickens. I have a friend that lives in the hills. He had 26 chickens three months ago. now he is down to 5. We have trapped 5 coons right next to his coop this year. The chicken population is holding study for the past couple of weeks and no coons caught.

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

@Dave, I hear you on all of the critters around here. For such and urban area there sure seems to be an abundance. I couldn't begin to tell you how many skunks have been nailed right outside my house by cars. One of the problems is we have some wingnuts in the area that feed the feral cats in the industrial area across the street from me. @Bennie, I have a friend who had all 5 of her chickens killed within a week not to far from me. So once the coons find something tastety, consider it gone unless you do something. I had a girlfriend who lived in a second story apartment on the waterfront in Marina del Rey. There were all sorts of racoons living in the rocks and storm drains. On a number of occasions she had raccoons climb up to her balcony ( no small feat) and come into her appartment to eat her cats food. She wouldn't let me "train them" properly so I tried my hand at trapping them. Not a chance, too damn smart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users