11 replies to this topic

#1 Short Cutt

Short Cutt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

I was thinking about getting a sun shade for my scope. Has anyone added one and was it worth it. I like the concept and they look pretty cool.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

I've got several that came with different scopes. They work fine in certain circumstances. But they can at times be a pain and you have to be careful you don't hit them and break them off.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

What brand of scope you have?

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

I've fought the flare from a setting sun often enough that I think they are worth it. Obviously, they are not an absolute cure all but, they will help.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

If you're shooting from a fixed position I think they're a great addition. I just don't like carrying a gun around with a sun shade on it. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

There is an option. Tenebraex Killflash is a 2.5" hex mesh insert that can be attached to the front of your scope and is supposed to provide the same amount of glare protection as a regular 7" sunshade. Leupold markets this as the ARD (anti-reflection device) for some of their scopes. Brownells sells one version and there is more info at the link below.Here's your link - Tenebraex Killflash

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

I have one on one of my Leupolds... About the best thing I say is that they protect the scope lens better. Also, on the down side I have noticed that they keep some of the light out... you will not see quite as well especially in low light, which is detrimental in hunting situations. Target work may be a different story, as that is usually during day light hours & I have not noticed much, if any difference or payed attention then. They do look cool, however not sure how much practical help they really are. I personally won't buy another one. But that is just me.Frank

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Frank.

#9 Short Cutt

Short Cutt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Frank.

Yeah thanks for the input. I'll give one a try.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

You're welcome, A17....I just re-read my note, & only want to mention that I was referring to the sun shade & not the Tenebraex. You probably knew that but just making sure is all... Oh, & mine is the 4" sun shade btw...Frank

#11 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

I've got a 4" shade on a Simmons Aetec. I like it, seems to really help in the daytime. Dawn and dusk you lose a little light, but not too much. Only thing that sucks is that I leave the shade on my scope all the time and it just barely fits in the gun case...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#12 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

:lol: I have a 4" shade on my Nikon and just could not function without it. I do agree if you are spot and stalking, it may get in the way. But I think most of us stay in fixed positions. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users