• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

well, you guys warned me, but i've got the sickness now. i'm gonna start piecing together a 7.62x39 upper. no scope or any other crazy stuff. just a fun gun to shoot with cheap ammo. i have the 30/06 my grandpa gave me, but i'd rather not take that into the field where there is a ton of brush and what not. plus, the 7.62x39 is pretty cheap to shoot. i'm sure i can just buy an upper for cheaper, but i love making stuff. so here we go! i'm picking up a spikes stripped up from a friend for pretty damn cheap. :smiley_kewlpics: i guess i've started down the path.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

I guess I just gotta ask why you don't take Grampa's rifle out. My Grandfather would reach down from the Heavens (actually more like reach up from Hell) and kick my a$$ for not continuing to take his rifle in the field like it was meant to be. I can always remember him saying "If I wanted a pretty rifle to hang on a wall for people to see, I would take a picture of it new and hang the picture". Just curious.

#3 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

cause 7.62x39 is way cheaper, and it's semi auto... i still plan on taking out the ole 30/06 though.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Gotcha. Makes much more sense now. It originally sounded like the poor ole work horse was headed to the back of the safe to be forgotten. That always makes me sad to hear. Especially with such a good caliber. Thanks, I can sleep much better knowing she's not being forgotten :smiley_kewlpics: . Good luck with the new project.

#5 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

hahaha. no, i'm not gonna safe queen the ole beast. she'll be out slaying stuff, it's too nice of a gun to not use it. BUT! for going out to the river and killing empty soda cans and milk jugs, well, surplus ammo does great work on that!

#6 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

after much consideration i decided to put the money down on another kimber 45. stainless with a 4" barrel. i need to just shoot the ar i built and have some fun with it. i got plenty of other big bore rifles to blow stuff up with.

#7 Fill

Fill

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Good call. 5.56x45 trajectory will impress you way more than 7.62x39 anyway. Besides if you want to bang off cheap ammo just buy surplus 5.56 ammo. Contrary to what you read all over the internet, steel case surplus ammo will not ruin your rifle, impregnate your girlfriend, kill puppies, cause autism, or anything else you hear about. You'll get the occasional FTF because your hammer spring sometimes doesnt have enough umpf for the hardened cups on surplus primers. In that case....pull the charge handle and rack another one.Those uppers are not a complete waste of money, but your money is better spent on a new pistol.I bought an SKS and tricked it out, and 1080 rds to go with it. Its actually pretty boring to shoot. I hardly ever even take it out.

#8 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

cool, thanks for the reply. i just need some more time with this gun, LOVE IT so far it's super accurate. maybe i'll just get another upper that's more applicable to plinking and not precision work.

#9 DocEarp

DocEarp

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Offroading, fishing and my dogs.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

I actually just finished my 7.62 x 39 upper and I love it. That thing is dead on. I did have some problems with the pin not setting off the primer but I was able to get it going. Just had to modify the pin and she was good to go. I may not be able to hit as far as a 5.56 but that is what my .308 is for. Plus I got 1500 rounds for 100 bucks.Attached File  1.jpg   16.42KB   10 downloadsJD Machine upper and lower receivers Stag Lower Parts kit Magpul MOE hand guard Magpul MOE butt stock Troy flip up rearsight Stand A2 Iron front sights ER Shaw 7.62x39mm barrel MGI bolt carrier 1500 rounds of 7.62x39

#10 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

you are not helping! LOL. that's awesome. i still want to do this, but at a later date and time. thanks for posting a pic, it's given me some ideas about what i want to do with mine when i get to it.

#11 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Where did you buy the upper from? I just recently bought a stripped lower and I was thinking about going the 7.62 route. Please let me know. Thanks.

#12 DocEarp

DocEarp

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

I built my upper. My upper and lower are JD Machine out of Sandy Eggo......Its a pretty sweet setup. I have yet to take it out to get some yotes but some mangy propane tanks and a street sign have gotten the business end of it! Let me know if you need some help with your build. I am by no means a expert but I know a thing or two. Oh yeah, If you do end up building one, DO NOT attempt to modify a PMAG. It does not work!

#13 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

well, go ahead and laugh but i went and bought an upper tonight. i just couldn't help myself. i got a decent deal on a DPMS, which i know is the greatest stuff but i found it local. i got them to throw in an armalite mag for free too. it fits SUPER tight on my lower which i don't think is a good thing. i think i'm going to relieve a little bit off the back of the upper receiver (just a couple thousandths). gonna find my camera so i can snap off some pics for ya'll.

#14 DocEarp

DocEarp

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Sand paper my friend. They might have gone a little heavy on the powdercoating. Make sure it is not the mag and try another one. Easy to take some off....hard to put it back on.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

that's exactly my plan! take a teeny bit off, check for fit. i learned along time ago easy does it. here are some crappy pics i took with the camera on my phone, i have no clue where my other camera is.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagethe mag was super tight in the magwell also so i ground down the spot welds (again just a little bit at a time so as not to mess them up) and got that to slide in and out of the magwell smoothly. hopefully tomorrow i can go run this thing, i have a full tin of ammo and no band practice tomorrow night, yippeeeeeee! check your PM DE, i'll be sending a couple more your way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users