#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

Just ordered a hose and gauge assembly from airtanksforsale.com for a SCBA 4500 psi tank I got from a friend that is a fireman. But what I was wondering was if any one was using Nitrogen in there PCP's here and what the pros and cons were to using it??? I have two tanks at work I can get for free if no one else has taken them home yet. My boss told me to get rid of them the other day. I was thinking of using one of them to fill up the SCBA tank. I don't know the size of the SCBA tank and do not know how many fills I would get out of it filling a AA S510. Also has any one had there SCBA tank hydro tested and know any thing about like how many time's you can get a tank tested and cost of having it done???
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have two used 2007 SCBA tanks that are the 30 minute (44 cu ft). Most are 30 minute and there are some 60 minute (88 cu ft). The hydrotesting was under $25 last time I looked but it took some weeks to get our PB tank back so you may need two tanks or you guns may be idle for a while. Air is 78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen will work but I know the airgun vendors discourage it from a safety standpoint (some folks have used 100% oxygen accidentally because both gases are avilable from the same sources like welding outlets). One guy died in England. Here is PyramydAirs take on it.http://www.pyramydai...ed-in-pcps.htmlUpdate: The tanks are good for 15 years in the US and most be tested every 5 years so my 2007 tanks are due in 2012 but good until 2022.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks my tank is 30-minute tank. I did not know the cu ft measurement of that. How many fills are you getting out of the 30 min tanks?
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

It depends on the gun - tank size, etc. Here is a calculator.http://www.airgunsof...s/FillCalc.htmlMy Airforce guns have 490cc tanks and I fill them to 2500 psi and shoot down to 1500 psi for the most consistent shot strings. (My Marauder is almost the same)Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I have heard of air gunners that have used nitrogen for the past 30 years with no problems to themselves or their guns. Just make sure of whats is inside your take before using it. These guys filled their OWN tanks at there work.

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Bennie; If you want to get rid of one of those tanks.... email me. Dlzdyno@aol.comThanks, tanks, Murph.

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

I am going to check on them monday. The tanks are 6000 psi tanks and yellow if I remember right. If they are good nitrogen tanks and you want one it is yours. Going fishing for a day see you all on monday. I do not know how to tell if they are what I am looking for. They have been in side a storage conex at work for three years.

#8 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Thanks my tank is 30-minute tank. I did not know the cu ft measurement of that. How many fills are you getting out of the 30 min tanks?

What is that tank fill program you have?

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#9 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Great photos and read! Thanks.

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

http://www.airgunsof...s/FillCalc.htmlThere are also some Android phone apps that do airgun calcs like Airgun Helper and Pyramyd Air WizardPAW is in the Market but to get Airgun Helper you need to scan this bar code (a Yellow Forum Moderator wrote it - it is safe) with a bar code app.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

What is that tank fill program you have?

I am filling up to about 2800 psi and shooting down too 1800 and refilling right now on the air rifle. I am not sure if this is what you are talking about. If it is where I am getting my tanks filled? My friend at the fire department is going to do it.

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Bennie; I really do not need at 6000 psi air tank. I was thinking of a smaller tank. My Praxair store sells that tank for $600.oo. If you sold it for half you could buy a ton of pellets with that much money. Tanks anyways, Murph.

#13 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

Got my stuff that I ordered today. Came as ordered in a timely manner and safe and sound. Now maybe I will get to try it out tomorrow. :signs1242cn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users