• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

So as I have anxiously been anticipating bird season, I decided to clean the ole shotguns today. Once a year, need it or not. I just finish cleaning the 870 20ga I bought (more like stole) from my best friend who bought it for his ex-psycho and wanted nothing to do with it anymore. Gotta love deals like that! Anyways, after cleaning it, and admiring it's pure simplicity, I put it back together and make sure it cycles and fires. Cycles, yes, fires, NO! It seems that last time out, someone not only put it on safe, but locked the safety too. I never noticed since I use the tab to cycle and check for loaded, and don't usually dry fire after. And yes, Remington actually has a locking safety, and, IT REQUIRES A TOOL TO UNLOCK IT! Never in all my years have I seen such :signgreatreport3kg: . How can they add such complication to such a perfectly simple field gun? A quick call to my buddy reveals that he forgot about the locking safety years ago also when he sold it to me, and has no clue where the tool is. Great. Didn't matter too much, he's 150 miles away. So a quick internet search shows me not only tools for sale, but forum topics where others have had the same thing happen while hunting rendering them useless. But all is not lost, which is why I thought I would post this for anyone with the same problem. I first considered disassembling the entire action, but was too unmotivated. Then, it seems that in my search for the tool, it also caught my eye that there is a spring and detent pin that locks it in place. Then it hit me, why not just remove the detent and twist it. So I did, and ten minutes later, it works like new. The best part is, you simply drop the trigger assembly, and pull one pin. I have posted a few pics in case anyone needs help. I think later I will epoxy the depression in the safety so this will NEVER happen again. The safety will still work, but the lock will not.First off, you remove the trigger assembly. Then you remove the pin in the highlighted area being careful not to lose the retaining pin, spring, and detent. Then you simply turn the safety to the fire position and put the parts back in. That simple, really. I am sure there are a few folks out there that did not think of this and are kicking themselves (like I did for a minute) for ruining their hunt trip. But if it ever happens to you, now you know. It did not discourage me too much on Remingtons (Frank) since it was my doing, but I sure do miss the old tang safeties on my other shotguns.......Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

Good info, I really hate that locking safety. Smith & Wesson also put a similar contraption on their revolvers a few years back. Sure puts an ugly mark on a fine revolver.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

Yup, looks odd for sure on a revolver. Don't know about S&W (all mine are older) but the Ruger MKIII has a lock and key also. But at least the Ruger engineer made it an allen key tool. Besides being a bastard child "J" shape, the damn Remington engineer also made it so you can lock it without a key, but not unlock it. Again, what the Hell were they thinking by doing this to the purest, simplest gun that defines wingshooting?! :smiley-outta-here: Lawyers :smiley-sorry: Engineers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users