Photo

setting up the AR for varmints, what do you do?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

so my ar is altogether and sighted in, i've got boxes of shells to shoot and just enough free time to do so. beings this is my introduction to the world of black rifles i thought i'd start a thread about what little tricks others may have when it comes to fully setting up the gun. my main concern is the loudness of the gun, and by that i mean the actual handling sounds of the rifle. one thing that was really bothering me was the standard buttstock, with the heavy barrel i had a misbalance and the stock was loud beings it was hollow. so i took a garbage bag that i cut down, shoved it in there and filled it with sand. lead shot probably would have been better for weight but all i had was the sand. i made sure to tape the bag closed with some crazy sticky tape i have. that way i don't get any sand into the rest of the gun. i was hoping some others could share what they've done to keep rattles and clanks down with their black guns. thanks guys.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

i was hoping some others could share what they've done to keep rattles and clanks down with their black guns. thanks guys.

Leave it in the safe and grab a bolt action or a lever gun :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ................................... :signgreatreport3kg: can't help myself sometimes

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Make your self a bi pod, you can get ideas from Varmint Al's web site and go play. No difference then any other rifle, except its better

#4 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

i forgot to mention i taped the spacer in the buttstock to the buffer tube and it took that rattle out.no prob bisley! i try to keep a good sense of humor.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

If you don't need the weight, try spray-foam also. Or spray-foam with weight dropped into it?

#6 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

My set up is pretty simple. I don't have a lot of stuff hanging all over my rig. Just a good varmint scope, a bipod, and a shooting sling. When I sling up, I don't notice the front heavy balance. When I shoot off a bipod or cross sticks it doesn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users