Photo

setting up the AR for varmints, what do you do?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

so my ar is altogether and sighted in, i've got boxes of shells to shoot and just enough free time to do so. beings this is my introduction to the world of black rifles i thought i'd start a thread about what little tricks others may have when it comes to fully setting up the gun. my main concern is the loudness of the gun, and by that i mean the actual handling sounds of the rifle. one thing that was really bothering me was the standard buttstock, with the heavy barrel i had a misbalance and the stock was loud beings it was hollow. so i took a garbage bag that i cut down, shoved it in there and filled it with sand. lead shot probably would have been better for weight but all i had was the sand. i made sure to tape the bag closed with some crazy sticky tape i have. that way i don't get any sand into the rest of the gun. i was hoping some others could share what they've done to keep rattles and clanks down with their black guns. thanks guys.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

i was hoping some others could share what they've done to keep rattles and clanks down with their black guns. thanks guys.

Leave it in the safe and grab a bolt action or a lever gun :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ................................... :signgreatreport3kg: can't help myself sometimes

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Make your self a bi pod, you can get ideas from Varmint Al's web site and go play. No difference then any other rifle, except its better
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

i forgot to mention i taped the spacer in the buttstock to the buffer tube and it took that rattle out.no prob bisley! i try to keep a good sense of humor.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

If you don't need the weight, try spray-foam also. Or spray-foam with weight dropped into it?

#6 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

My set up is pretty simple. I don't have a lot of stuff hanging all over my rig. Just a good varmint scope, a bipod, and a shooting sling. When I sling up, I don't notice the front heavy balance. When I shoot off a bipod or cross sticks it doesn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users