Photo

Binoculars and Flashlights

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nacho_Momma_*

Guest_Nacho_Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

You guys know I'm not a hunter, but I would like to know if you have any suggestions for reasonably priced binoculars and a good BRIGHT, hopefully longlasting flashlight?I know the Bushnells binocs are supposed to be good, but I'm thinking something more in the $30 - $40 range, fits my budget.I have a nice maglight, but the the size of the light isn't big and at the rate I use it at night I'm going through batteries too danq quick. Hubster bought me a Coleman rechargarble spotlight kind of thing, that is supposed to have 10,000 candlelight power ( or sounds something like that) and it's supposed to last for 30 minutes, but it doesn't. Seems like I am always recharging it and within 15 minutes or less, it dims. Otherwise it works great, is bright and all, but I need something better - something that lasts. Any ideas?thanks!

#2 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Nacho,I have a pair of Nikon Action 7x35. They've been recognized on a few birding websites as the best low end binoc's. I picked them up at Wal-Mart for $50 last year. The Wal-Mart off of Los Coches Rd should have them. S&SNacho, did you see I just made squirrel shooter? :lol:
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

Streamlight makes some great rechargables. Leupold Wind River Mesa binos are pretty good for $175.

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

I picked up a new flashlight about a year ago that I am pretty happy with. It looks like one of those mag lights but with LED's instead of standard bulbs. I have been very pleased with it. The erie white light takes a little getting used to but it lights an area well and uses very little battery power which makes it really, really nice. I actually got to field test it when my brother, brother in law, and I were hunting and our jeep broke down in the middle of nowhere. We had to walk several miles in the dark and I only had the little LED flashlight. It worked fantastic. My brother in law picked up an LED light for Scuba diving and it is a fantastic light.LEDs are a little pricey but they are coming down. I've had enough el cheapo flashlights over the years that never even made it a month that I was finally ready to put down a little extra for a nice LED in an aircraft aluminum case and have not regretted it. Every other flashlight I seem to pick up at home has dead batteries and then I get my LED light out of my hunting bag and it shines like a champ. I can't remember the brand but there are several out there. This is probably the greatest advantage of the LED aside from the quality of the light. They have extremely long battery (and bulb) life.Jason

#5 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

Nacho,Did you get your binoc's yet? Which model did you go with...the Swarovski 10x42 EL? :blink: S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

Love my Steiner Predators 12x40 for $180. For the price I sure don't complain about that pair!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

Nacho- Does your spotlight have a cigarette lighter adapter for power? If so, I've found that plugging your light into one of those battery packs used for jump starting cars will give you light that lasts for hours. I bought mine (Husky brand) at Home Depot for about $40. You can also buy LED conversion kits for your Mag Lite at Walmart.As for binoculars, you can find Bushnell's for around $40. Also, keep checking your local Big 5 ads for Winchester binoculars when they go on sale. I recently picked up a Winchester spotting scope, case, & accessories on sale for $89 and I'm very impressed with it. To me, it's just as good my friend's Bushnell spotting scope that cost him over twice as much.You can check here for deals also:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:27 PM

- if I do good hawking my handcrafted soaps this before xmas, I'll treat myself to those.

You know, I don't believe you have given any of us an idea of what you charge for your soaps, or how to go about getting them. Many of us have wives or girlfriends, (I suppose some have both :) )and those soaps may make a nice gift. As stocking stuffers and what not. How about giving us some info. :P
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:55 PM

Well, aren't you the comic!! I thought you were joking about these until I 'googled' them. I thought maybe they were so pricey cause they had girly sissy little crystals glued all over them. I'm not a "bling" kind of gal. :D

Nacho,I thought I'd throw the Austrian specials out there as you seem like you're days away from purchasing the FoxPro FX999 etc. :P On another note, you and Lilwes are in a absolute battle to 200 posts. I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd put my money on the urban east county san diego resident. :D Good posting,S&S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users