7 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:35 AM

I'm thinking about purchasing a new coyote gun whats your opinion on the above two rifles.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

I have three Remington 700's and one Savage 116, and I like them all. All of them have nice barrels, decent triggers, nice balance, strong actions and are capable of sub-MOA accuracy. So you probably can't go wrong with either of them, and either one will kill coyotes just fine. Although I like the Savage's Accu-Trigger better than the X-Mark Pro, the X-Mark Pro isn't bad. In the end, I'd probably go with the Remington 700 mostly because I like the bolt release much better. The newer design bolt release on my Savage 116 .270 Win, while an improvement over the old model 110 bolt release, is still awkward to depress and I sometimes have to fight with the bolt to remove it. Also, my Savage's bolt release doesn't seem to drop the retaining pin low enough and it tends to snag on the bolt a little, requiring me to fiddle with it to remove the bolt. But that could just be my rifle and probably isn't a fair generalization. It may get smoother with more use. It's not that big a deal but it does tick me off when it happens. There's huge after market support for Remington 700's in terms of replacement stocks, triggers, barrels, etc. So, for example, if you got an SPS and hated the synthetic stock (which some people report to be flimsy), you could easily upgrade it to one with a bedding block or pillars. Or if you wanted to upgrade the trigger, you could buy a Jewell or Timney and install it yourself. That said, there is aftermarket support for Savages too but it's not as much. Also, if you're going to shoot a lot and plan to put more than 1500 rounds down your barrel, .243 Win is reported to be a barrel burner which results in shorter barrel life. So you may want to go with the Remington because from what I've read, it's apparently easier to have the barrel replaced on a 700 than with the newer style Savage's barrel retaining nut which is smooth and more difficult to remove. But I'm not a gunsmith so don't take that as gospel. And if you're not a high volume shooter, barrel life's not going to matter.You might also look at the Tikka T3 Lite or Hunter. I've got a stainless one in .243 Win and it's a nice shooting rifle. Great weight, nice trigger and barrel, and wonderfully smooth action. But there's not as much after market support for Tikkas if you're into upgrading and customer service could be more difficult. Anyhow, those are my thoughts for what it's worth. Good luck and let us know what you get.

#3 James

James

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the input............james

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

Either one is fine, as are many other brands, as long as it says R-E-M-I-N-G-T-O-N on the barrel. Then again, some may say I am biased. But hey, I have no idea where that came from. :roflmao3[1]: Btw, Mike, explains it very well IMO... And excellent caliber choice... However, IF using for coyotes only, as your original note states, you may want to consider the 22-250. Both are semi-hard on barrels, but the 250 does it with a lot less powder, recoil & muzzle blast. Also, the components, brass & bullets etc are less expensive. And I have chronographed numerous 250's that drive 50gr bullets at over 3900+ fps & 40gr bullets over 4200 fps which easily matches & exceeds (respectively) the trajectory performance of the 243... And with a LOT less fuss & expense.Whew, didn't intend to say all that, but you got me going... obviously. lol Good luck in your decisionFrank

#5 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

Ive shot both but not in .243 I really like savage

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#6 James

James

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Frank Thanks for the input...........James

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

I would take a look at the Tikka, You can come over to San Marcos and check out mine or we can run up to rainbow and you can shoot it. I picked mine up new for $590 and love it.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

I'll pitch in another vote for a Tikka T3 Lite. I got one in 22-250 and I'd say that of all my rifles it is the best gun for the money. It's nice and light, it shoots tiny groups, the trigger is great, scope mount integrated into the receiver, gun came with scope rings, it comes with a 1 moa guarantee, and I've never ran a patch through a slicker bore. I'll just put it this way, if I would've found out about tikka rifles earlier in my hunting career I probably wouldn't have any Remingtons or Savages. My only two complaints are that extra mags are expensive and I wish they used an open topped action like they use on the Sako.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users