4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

This is a copy from another forum.DaveG (the stock man) told me what to put on my Boyd stock. I just received this emil from him. "I did an on-line search for Minwax Rub on Poly, as well as a couple of others I have tried- Watco rub on poly, and Waterlox. Every site that I found that carries them has a "not available in California" disclaimer. You may want to ask on the Forum what the California guys are using to put a finish on their stocks, and where they get it." The stock is a laminated gray thumb hole. I was thinking of a clear satin finish. Tanks, Murph.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Attached File  100_0504.jpg   32.29KB   11 downloadsMy buddy used Brownelles satin custom oil on my 7x57 stock and it came out great. I'd check and see if they make a clear version of it. If not I would probably just use the tinted one. It doesn't have much tint to it. The wood didn't look any darker than it did when I poured water on it to check the grain.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for that great suggestion. Your stock came out look good.Tanks, Murph.

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. You can get them at your local Walmart or HomeDepot.http://www.google.co...IwAQ#ps-sellersPosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

All good info here. I will go to my local store tomorrow and see what they have from the knowledge I have gained here tonight.Tanks all, Murph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users