4 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well i got both my lead and some powder & was using the Winch/Hodgdon reloading data . Finally got to go to the range today . 45acp 230 L RN 44spcl 200 LRN FP Clays 45acp : 3.5 / 3.6 / 3.7 / 3.8 grns C.O.L 1.200 " Winch brass & primers . they all went off fine & exited the barrel but I noticed it 2xs were i found what looked like lead but it was paper thin , towards the front of the CYL . remember it a revovler ( S&W 625 ) , not a semi . Not much differance in recoil / feel between charges so i will stay with the 3.8 load . FPS started at 780 , think max wax FPS was 890 ish . 44 Spcl : 3.5 /3.6 / 3.7 3.8 grns C.O.L. 1.450" Winch x Winch . again they all went off fine . recoil was none existant ( S&W 624 ) . But will stick with the 3.8 load . really accurate too . Granted 7 yrds . speed loaded great also in HKS loaders . but I remembered some potential problems : I forgot that we have to knock down " poppers " in the course of fire . Will need to test before match . Clays is freakn smokey . Wipes off gun with my hand , so can't really say dirty . Also , anyone use " trail Boss " powder ? wondering if it is dirtier , smokier , etc , than the Clays . Andy

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

230 grains of lead even moving slowly shouldnt have any trouble taking down steel. my cowboy loads were 230gr moving 800fps never had any trouble[ if I did my part.] I shot a rimfire match on the 3rd and was able to knock down over 80% that were set for 38 spl. if its an accurite enough load I wouldnt worry much about the poppers. DR

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Dangerranger : Are you talking about the 20 +/- " poppers or the ones that are 36 + " ? The taller ones are thicker seem way heavier too . What about a Texas star ? did you shoot that ? And i do try to go higher on the poppers , than lower on the body of it . Appreciate the info . have you ever used " trail boss " powder ? smokey ? dirty ? Andy

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

with the 22 I had to hit them high. with the 45 any good hit took them down. both the 20 and 36".I have tried Trailboss, I dont rember it being smoky or dirty but none of the loads I tryied were accurate enough for me. my favorite powder right now is tightgroup. its fast, clean, and I use so little that one pound goes forever. I think one pound lasted a year of competition shooting, [ not including practice]. very close to 1400 rounds at 5gr ea. I did shoot the texas star. with rimfire you are not required to knock them off but I didnt have any trouble. even with the lightest 38 loads they come off with any good hit. Im working on a 160gr bullit for the 45 to try to get shooting with it again. with the lighter bullit Ill have to pick up the speed "a little" but Ive seen other shooters using them at as little as 750fps without any problems. I dont shoot them that slow because Im alittle afraid of sticking one in the rifle barrel. but 800 to 850 should work. take a thick phone book with you to the range next time. if they will knock down a phone book standing on end they will take the steel down. all you need to do is start them falling and gravity will do the rest. DR

#5 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

I use 4.5 gr of Winchester 231 under a 230gr LRN. Been working great for me for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users