4 replies to this topic

#1 Rcw0001

Rcw0001

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

Looking to get serious about duck hunting, looking to get a duck gun. I'm in school so I don't have a ton of money to spend looking to stay under $400. any one have any suggestions?

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

Look at the Remington 870 Express model in 12 gauge. Big 5 will usually have them on sale for a good price.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

I'd 2nd the 870, the other one to look at would be the Mossberg 500 series. These are both pump guns. If you shop around you can usually find a very lightly used or NIB Rem 870. They are a very popular raffle gun for DU and CWA fund raisers. Many of the guys that win the gun don't really want them and off load them for below wholesale.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

I used to recommend 870s to new hunters but anymore their quality has been pretty bad and I'd hate to see a new duck hunter get soured on the sport from sitting out in the rain with a locked up gun. Do a search on the net and see how many people have problems with shells getting stuck in the chamber. The early 870 Express pumps were great so you might try to find a used one, other than that I'd go with almost any other pump from a reputable manufacturer like Winchester, Mossberg, Benelli, or Browning. The Browning BPS is my favorite but they cost more than most other pumps.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ive got a Benelli Nova and love it.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users