• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Anyone have a Swift Bullets reloading manual that can help me. I need info on the 6.5X55 with the 130gr SciroccoII bullets. If you can help Thanks In Advance. I cannot find one to buy local and do not want to wait for a online buy.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Before you order a manual it might be a good idea to call Swift and make sure they have published data for that bullet. I have a "Swift Reloading Manual Number One" but it was published before the 6.5mm scirrocco bullet was available. A few years ago I had to get data directly from Swift for the 95 grain .243 scirrocco bullet. The bullets were available but there was no published data for it yet.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Thanks I will do that.

#4 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

Why not use a comparable bullet like a core-lokt or a partition in the same weight to get some starting loads...and work your way up?
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

EXACTLY... If we had to buy a manual for every bullet maker out there we would likely have a library. Which ain't all bad... just is not necessary is all. Two excellent choices are Nosler's reloading manual & Hodgdon's on line loads. Handloader's.com used to be another but I have not visited that in some time. Any of these will give you an excellent starting point, for ANY 130gr bullet in other words. I am ASSUMING you are talking about the Swedish Mauser(?), and IF so plug in 45.5grs of RL19 & your 130gr bullet. That is a MID charge, and may have to vary 1/2gr (or?) up or down. But give the 45.5 gr a try first IMO.Good LuckFrank

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

If you go that route I'd start below a medium charge of another bullet due to the Scirroccos thick, sticky, pure copper jacket.Loading this way can be tricky with older cartridges like the 6.5 swede or 7mm mauser because saami pressure limits may be set well below the threshold you must cross to get high pressure signs. This is even worse when dealing with a weaker action that shouldn't be pushed to the point of visual pressure signs.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

In truth, there is no such thing as a guaranteed "medium charge" in any book...just suggested medium charges. With published loads, what is a light load in one gun can be a flame thrower in another. When comparing different manuals you'll see different ones have different max loads for the same bullet/powder combo. If there was truly one "max" load, we'd only need one book. Most all the books recommend reducing their suggested loads 10-15% and work your way up.With any bullet it is wise to start at the bottom of the suggested scale and work up to it. Depending on the bullet (expensive ones like Swift) I usually only load up a couple to give you an idea. I also load up a few with the powder charge "I think" I'll be using...if the two try out loads look okay, I move forward.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

In truth, there is no such thing as a guaranteed "medium charge" in any book...just suggested medium charges. When comparing different manuals you'll see different ones have different max loads for the same bullet/powder combo.

Yep, exactly (again)... Sometimes the differences can be a lot actually, especially with some firearms liking considerably higher than any given "book" max. It can be amazing what the differences can in fact be.I did word my above comment incorrectly... The "mid" range powder charge what I was referring to, was the charge that I GUESSED might be semi close for good accuracy in your rifle. One absolultely should always start lower, especially with older firearms as mentioned. Sometimes I get in too big of a hurry. Frank

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Divernhunter are you planning on using the 6.5 x55 for x12 this season?

#10 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yep it is for X12. Blooded the 257weatherby last year in Wy. I will take the 7mm-08 as back-up with 120gr BT or 140gr PAR bullets. Might throw in the 300win mag or 7mm rem mag in case of only long shots.Got to head to Coalinga to dial in my 50BMG out to 1000 yards as I have someone who wants me to go and shoot a pig this winter at long range. Those 600 and 647 gr Barnes X-Bullets should do the job and they are legal for hunting.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

There's a lot of big country over the hill. I've thought about taking my 7x57 next time but I,m sure I'll chicken out when the time comes. I reeeaaalllyyyy like how flat my .270wsm shoots.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

why take the chance with that little rifle on big game it's x12 use the 7mag or other calibers you have.

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

That little rifle cartridge has been used for many years in Europe for Red Stag/Moose/wild boar so it should work ok. But you can bet I will have some of the others there just in case.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Yeah and people say the 223 is big enough fore wild boar. :1106:

#15 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

A 130gr bonded bullet at just under 3000FPS should be fine. Or I can use 140gr Nosler PAR bullets at 2800+FPS. My 7mag uses 140gr PAR bullets at 3200+ FPS so there is not a great deal of difference. :roflmao3[1]: I could use my 50BMG with 600gr barnes-X bullets at 3200FPS :drinks: :pot: :1087: I thought that my 204Ruger should do for wild boar :pot: After all it works real good on squirrels :lol: :rofl2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users