• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevo

kevo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Varmit shooting,particularly rabbits,deer hunting,reloading and all forms of fishing with a flyrod.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hi everyone,I have just bought my first o/u shotgun after having a semi-auto full choke gun for many years.I am going to be shooting small to medium,fast moving game at distances up to 50 - 60 meters. Probably number 2 shot to BB.Which chokes do you suggest I put in the barrel.???ThanksAussie Kevo.

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

For that distance at least a full choke or tighter. A Mod wont give you a dense enough pattern out that far. Though I did kill a cottontailed rabbit @ 60 paces with a mod choke and #6 shot. Pattern your new gun and compare it to your old gun, this is the best way to know what your gun is doing. 50-60 meters is the same distance whether you are shooting a semi-auto or an O/U. If you were happy with a full choke before, then a full choke should work now.
Hic Ego Statio

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

50-60 meters is a reach for a shotgun, normally effective preferred range is in the 35-40 yards. What are you shooting? Birds or ground vermin? There are several choke makers out there making extra full type chokes that in the states are used for turkey hunting and also for coyote.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 240 supervarminter

240 supervarminter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

if your going to be shooting a larger shot and longer ranges, i woud checkout patternmaster choke tubes, they have a wad stripping design witch keeps your pattern from opening up right out of the get go, i have used them befor and liked them alot, wasn't to fond of them with smaller bird shot like 7.5 & 8 shot but for #2's and larger u can really reach out there and touch something, pattern your gun with one, im sure you will be impressed, they do not have mod. full. ext full. ext. they come with studs and the # of shot u use determines how tight the pattern will be, smaller shot is way more open, largeer shot is very tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users