7 replies to this topic

#1 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hi guys, Just finished doing some pattern testing with my Benelli m2 with a 26" barrel. All shots were fired from a shooting bench and a rifle rest at 45 yards. First i used the stock Benelli modified choke tube than i used a Briley turkey tube measure's .674 not sure what the Benelli tube measure's. The differences between the two chokes was in my opinion too close to call as far as pattern density was concerned. The shells i used with the two tubes were Remington hd BB dead coyote #4 BB both 3" and (2 3/4 #6 the #6 just to see pattern) I think the dead coyote would be the one for coyotes as it blew through the 1/2 plywood and the Rem. did not. HERE is the shocking results that i found in every pattern regardless of tube/shot they all were about 9" high and 6" to the left of point of aim! now what?? :1087

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Use Kentucky windage
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

Here's how the US Army officially explained "Kentucky Windage"! Really. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

HERE is the shocking results that i found in every pattern regardless of tube/shot they all were about 9" high and 6" to the left of point of aim! now what??

That's exactly one of (several) reasons why patterning is so important. Otherwise we would never know.All of my shotguns have patterned dead on, however, I have patterened shotguns for others that gave similar results to yours. I do not know how that can be corrected. A visit or phone call to the gunsmith may be a good start?As far as the dead coyote shells go, in one of my friend's "Beneli" shotgun we patterened with, it gave very poor results at around the same distances (& further) that you were testing. The #4 buck Rem on the other hand patterened very well & is what would be used in that gun in the future. I also have to point out, that on the lone coyote we slayed with that dead coyote load (b4 we patterned), it took 2 shots (from the above Beneli) that neither killed the dog with and had to be finished off with a rifle. This was at 53 yards. I have no doubt in my mind it was due to the poor pattern & few shots actually "hitting" the coyote. At least where it counted.Good LuckFrank

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

First thing I'd do is shine a flashlight down the muzzle and see if it looks like you barrel was threaded crooked. Look the little ring of barrel steel that stands higher than the base of the choke tube. It should be the same all the way around. Some poi problems can come from the magazine cap tension. Something to try before you spend any money. I've seen old timers whack the barrel over a sack of lead shot to change poi problems. A safer option would be to mount some sort of optical sight or get a set of adjustable iron sights for it. The problem is that neither of these options are any good for wingshooting, except for the burris speed bead, which would probably be your best bet.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#6 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Thanks guys for the good ideas and information i do appreciate it. Will let you know more if any thing changes.MIKE.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

I am not a shotgun guy by any means, but isnt this what stock bending is for? POI changes? DR

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Fitting a shotgun is like buying a good set of golf clubs it needs to be fit to some people. If you aren't the general dimensions that a gun is set to it won't shoot to the proper point of aim. There are four dimensions that need to be checked on a proper fitting shotgun.Length of pull: this is the distance between the trigger and the center of the gun butt.Pitch: the angle of the butt in relation to the top of the barrel.Cast: the distance the centerline of the stock is offset to one side or another of the centerline of the barrel.Drop: the distance from the top of the barrel or rib to the top edge of the stock at the comb and the heel.I've had a few of my trap shooting shotguns adjusted and purchased a few new stocks with additional cast in them. They shot so much better after being fitted.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users