#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Here's another short video on how I neck turn brass. Enjoy!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

thanks for the info i always wondered how that was done.I only reload for hunting so I don't go that far in brass prep.

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

Nice set of tools for sure. Never thought of taking it that far before, If you turn the neck, not sure how thin you would go before being concerned with tensile strength on holding the bullet. I believe that someone here had a post about the effects of crimping/non crimping the bullet had on accuracy as well. so since i dont crimp my rifle rounds anymore. My concern would be on what may be lost on this neck thinning would have on how well it holds the bullets in place. I have a bolt action which may not effect it at all. but my ar15 slames those rounds home for sure. I have not been crimping with the ar15 and the accuracy is still great. I have cycled these non crimped rounds and remeasured them and had no movement in bullet seating at all. my rounds, have just a slight amount of room in the magazine to function, so there isn't much more i can extend the bullets out too. If i thinned out the neck, would i get the same results? Nice video by the way and tell your friend at G and S, that i have been telling people about getting their engines rebuilt there, for sure. The customer service and workmenship on engine rebuilding was excellent thx Robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Rob, The average brass neck wall thickness range between .013" to .016". It varies from brand to brand or even lot to lot. All I'm doing here is removing the high spot on the neck... usually no more than .0003 to .0005, so it doesn't really affect the integrity of the brass.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Oh okay, thx
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users