• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJ

MikeJ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Interested in hunting in California (deer, elk, etc.).

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

I will be in the lake tahoe area in a condo near heavenly. I am thinking about buying a canoe and doing some fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Mike

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

The only good suggestion I would have is..... Stop by a local fishing store and ask them about your plans. Do you have your own fishing gear? I am sure you might have a lot of questions to help you make a good in-ssion. LOL.Murph. Ex fishing Guide.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

What type of fishing do you want to do? I used to troll out of my canoe and did very well this time of year with flashers trailing a nightcrawler. You can fish Tahoe trolling the shoreline at dawn for browns and rainbows. Fallen Leaf is another choice as is going back over Luther Pass on Hwy 89 to either Indian Creek Reservoir or Red lake. I would say Caples Lake up the road from Red lakes on Hwy 88 but it was still partly frozen the last I saw about a week ago. You can fish Indian Creek Reservoir or Red lake from shore with bait and do well. Without more specifics this is the best I can do.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

These are fairly reliable, current sources:http://www.fishsniff...om/trout-board/http://www.tahoedail...entprofile=1063The local flyfishing shop, Tahoe Flyfishing Outfitters has good info also.Don't overlook putting your canoe in the Tahoe Keys Marina where you will catch loads of bluegill, crappie and black bass. Big ones! These species were illegally introduced and have taken over in the warmer marina waters. Regarding stream fishing, all tributary creeks flowing INTO Lake Tahoe are closed for fishing until July 1.Good luck and, please post a report with photos when you get home.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

Instead of fishing around lake tahoe you should fish in it.

#6 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

I'd definitely hit this place again.http://www.californi...showtopic=20301

#7 MikeJ

MikeJ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I used to fish as a kid and still have some of the old gear. I might need to purchase some new stuff, but have a start. I have been thinking about taking fishing up again.My nefew (12 years) is staying with us (along with his mom and grandma). He has never been fishing before. We have a week at a condo near heavenly. I thought might be a good excuse to buy a canoe and do a bit of fishing. I would prefer trout or those land locked samon, but would be happy to be out on the water and get a little action for the nefew.I like the idea of trolling near the shore on lake tahoe. Also the marina might be a good way to get started as the action might be a bit more. Sometime getting kids interested requires some immediate results as their patience is not as good.

#8 MikeJ

MikeJ

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. We were up in Tahoe for the 4th and then some extra time. My nefew's first time fishing was a hit but not as successful as I would hope but very cool is that he is super happy. Our focus was on trout so some of the marina suggestions were out. We fished West Fork at the suggestion of a local fishing store without success.We then turned our sites a bit lower and fished out of a place called Old Saw Mill Pond which is well stocked for kids under 14. It is not a fish farm and is real fishing but easier than some places given the stocking of fish. We fished there a few times and my nefew on our last evening landed a big rainbow. Was over a foot and hung over a dinner plate.

#9 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Nothing beats watching a kid have a great time fishing or hunting.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users