• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

I found my son a Mossberg pump. one of the first things I want to do to it is improve the trigger. it doesnt have any creep but its pull weight is at least 7 lbs. Ive never had a Mossberg trigger apart but it seems that the trigger return spring is the culprit. it should have enough force to return the trigger at half its current tension. Has any one here done this before? thanks DR

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Truth be told, in all the years I've been bird hunting (over two decades-it is my true passion) to this day, I could not tell you what the trigger pull is like on my shotgun. When the birds are flying, I could literally squeeze off a table leg if I had to! I would not want a light trigger on a shotgun though. If you plan on doing much hunting with it, and I mean HUNTING with it, leave it. Last thing you want when shooting heart-pumping animals that fly from under your feet at times is a light trigger. ESPECIALLY for a kid! Large game and predators (usually) give you a chance to see them, get settled, ease off a safety, and aim. Simply put, birds don't. I actually had to make a trigger heavier on an old H&R single shot. It must have had a rifle barrel at some time because myself, and everyone I know who shot it, would have that damn thing go off just trying to shoulder it! No fun!It's a lot easier to get used to a stiff trigger on a shotgun than to get used to it going off when you don't want it too. Been there, done that.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

DR, while I really do not pay much attention to the triggers on my (Berreta, Rem(of course/lol) shotguns, your Mossberg's trigger does sound somewhat different to me. But, like Bisley, I would be hesitant to do anything to it, especially for a kid. And yes, guns sometimes have a way of going off when not ready for it. Which is even more dangerous in a kids hands. I'm getting nervous as I type this. lolIF you still go forward, I would suggest letting a competent gunsmith look it over first & get their suggestions. I too do not believe I would want a light trigger on a shotgun, even though I have never actually weighed the trigger pulls on mine. Good LuckFrank

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yeah what they said ^^^Only reason I would do it was if I wanted to lighten up the pull on my slug-gun. But for bird shot and buck shot, No way
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

The only hunting shotgun I've ever heard of getting a light trigger was a friend of mine who had a 3 pound trigger put on his turkey gun. But that's all he uses it for under very controlled conditions. Target only shotguns (trap & skeet) get light triggers all the time, but again - they are only used in specific controlled conditions. Never felt the need to touch any of mine, and I've been hunting birds since I was 12.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

I won a Remington 870 Express in a raffle one time and it was way too heavy on the trigger pull. It felt like the safety was on! I sent the trigger off and got it fixed for around $60.00. That trigger is perfect now, it is not too light.Do some searches for a gunsmith that specializes in shotgun trigger work. Check out TRIGGERSMITH.COMIf the trigger pull is in the 6 to 7 lbs pull range I would leave it like it is.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

I agree with the others. Leave it alone and consider it an extra margin of safety for that new hunter.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

The Kid will be 30 in Oct. Hes in the military, and his units designated shooter. I forget that everyones kids arent grown. as DaBob said it feels like the safety is on. I pulled it twice before it tripped. I have a few shotguns and none of them have a pull weight like this. Im going to have to get out my trigger weights and actually measure it, but its tough. DR

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Oh, that's another ball of wax entirely. I would check around with companies that specialize in combat shotguns. Most of those companies build on either a remy or mossy platform so I'd be willing to bet someone could help you out.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

The Kid will be 30 in Oct.

Just a minor (omitted) detail... :fireworks3:

I forget that everyones kids arent grown.

My sons will soon turn 34 & 32, but can't recall the last time I called either one "kid"... But hey, whatever works :cheers:

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Problem solved! I took the trigger group out and after removing the trigger pin I found the problem. the trigger spring was already compressed nearly all the way. when I removed it I found the pocket it fits into plugged with plastic bits. After cleaning it out and reassembly, it trips at 7lbs 2 oz. it did not lighten any but it feels like a trigger now. I think it was running out of compression room. DR

#12 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Good job!
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

There ya go :fireworks3:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users