10 replies to this topic

#1 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

So I'm driving to work today and see a good size raccon roadkill on the side of the road. This is nothing new, but it got me thinking. Has anyone ever picked up some fresh road kill, like a racoon, coyote, whatever, and skinned it for the hide or a mount? Not sure what the laws are for this. Just thinking

#2 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

http://www.dfg.ca.go...lvg_issues.htmlfrom DFG:Animal Specimen Salvage IssuesNo one, even a holder of a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP), can pick up road kills, native bird feathers, or collect owl pellets or other animal parts without a SCP authorizating the salvage of dead amphibians, reptiles, birds, and/or mammals.If you salvage any Standard Exception species, you must contact the Department at (916) 653 - 4875 within two business days. The telephone number also is given on the back of the permit in the text of authorization 10. The disposition of the specimen(s) is at the discretion of the Department.Salvaged specimens should be deposited in a public scientific or educational institution. In general, if open to the public, a depository doesn't need to have a permit to possess the specimens. However, we suggest that each specimen received is accompanied by documentation of legal take.ALSO:http://www.dfg.ca.go...specialpermits/
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#3 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

I guess that answers that question. Thanks.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

nobody will care if stop and grab a dead coon.

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

Apparently the game warden cares.

#6 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

Ok here goes, so if I'm out hunting, I can posses all the dead coyotes I can shoot, but I have to have special permission to pick one up off the road that lost an augment with a truck bumper. To me that sounds really stupid. Could someone explain their rational?
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#7 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

Ok here goes, so if I'm out hunting, I can posses all the dead coyotes I can shoot, but I have to have special permission to pick one up off the road that lost an augment with a truck bumper. To me that sounds really stupid. Could someone explain their rational?

You can probably predict the answers you'll get here from the usual suspects. Or you can send that question to the weekly DFG Q & A column and see how she explains it.Here's a link to their last column where you will find the email address:http://californiaout...snake-wrangler/(It would be interesting to phrase it to specifically emphasize roadkill being of huntable non-game animals like coyotes and make sure to mention that you have a valid hunting license.)

#8 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

I can read the card now...Species: RacoonGender: UnknownLocation: Between the 1 and 2 lanes...Method of take: Goodyear 275/65/18

#9 MichaelJob

MichaelJob

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Probably has to do with people poaching the animals, then saying that they picked them up off the side of the road. Presents a problem if they raid a house and find twenty bobcats without take record then the guy says he picked them up off the side of the road, same goes of no-take game such as owls and hawks. That's why it's illegal to have hawk feathers or owl feathers as well, cause you could have killed it and taken the feathers of just found them on the ground. All of this is really a product of poachers and the like it's annoying the rest of us have to be governed by laws made for a small percentage...

#10 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

No worries...they are not raiding anymore houses...that TV show got cancelled :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

OK .If you hit a deer and the hwy patrole comes out and game ranger. Thay do there report and stuff thay can not let you take that deer home or any part of it .Even if you have a tags and it was in season... Most Ca. nuts would take it home get sick from eating rotten meat becouse, unlike us thay no nothing of keeping or cleaning it . The state would be liable to get sued... And there would be peaple hitting animals. And peaple not us .. would be a traffic hazzerd picking up dead things from the middle of the road..... And the only way your house is going to raided most of the time is thay probaly have a good reason.....
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users