Photo

Scope upgrade - small targets longer ranges .223 on a medium budget.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

I've been successfully hunting little bitty ground squirrels out to 100, (much farther, and they hide behind the reticle) jackrabbits out to 300 (parallax becomes an issue, as well as no mildots or turrets), coyotes are also on the list.I'm thinking about starting to night hunt, as it's real hot here, and also wanting to be able to range and shoot a lot further, I'd like my optics to be able to keep up with my rifle. Currently have a cheap Bushnell 3-9 that came on my rifle. I really can't complain, it has worked well for it's purpose and what I've used it for, but I want more - more field of view, more magnification, more range. There is a dizzying array of options out there. I really like the Greybull dial-a-shot method, but don't want to have to get a rangefinder, I'll poorboy it and learn to range with the mildots. Right now I'm thinking 4-16x50+ mildot 30mm or larger tubeLooking for input/guidance, thanks!

#2 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Take a look at the Hawke Scopes. You will be very happy with the glass and customer service.You simply cannot beat them for the price.Karl

#3 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Kinda likin' the Varmint. Looks like it won't block out the tiny ground squirrels, but gives you some options for holdover and windage, as well as ranging. I'd really like to peek through one.

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

I bought the Varmint II side focus 6-24 X 44 with the mil-dot reticle for my 204 AR build with a heavy Shilen barrel. It is an amazing scope for the bucks. For under $180.00 it is very hard to beat. It works well at night too. We don't just sell the stuff, we use it in the field. If you are not happy with your purchase, send it back in the condition you received it and get a full refund. Our biggest obsticle doing internet sales is the fact that our customers can't pick our products up and look through them before buying them. Rest assured that we stand behind our optics 100% and we want you to be totally satisfied. If you are not happy, we are not happy. Posted Image

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

I put that on my Marauder .25 and it is a very good scope.Posted Image

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

That's not the standard stock for a Marauder that I've seen - Where did you get it? I want one! :archer-green:

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

That's the Boyd's Blaster for $54. You have to inlet it.http://www.californi...showtopic=23577

#8 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Kinda likin' the Varmint. Looks like it won't block out the tiny ground squirrels, but gives you some options for holdover and windage, as well as ranging. I'd really like to peek through one.

I can understand wanting to look through one before your purchase but if you aren't happy Red will take care of you.I have been very pleased with the customer service and warranty with Hawke Optics. :signs1242cn:

#9 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

I have two of the Varmint II side focus 6-24 X 44,one on my 243 and one on my 221 fireball,Would get another with out hesitation.Quality glass,love the varmint reticle ,the fast focus eye piece and the side focus ,I feel it was well worth the money !

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

You know how they say a scope should cost about 2x as much as the rifle blah blah blahHow about 10x as much as the riflehttp://www.usoptics.com/

#11 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Well, Hawke sure is getting a lot of votes. I'm leaning. I would have to spend a lot to double the cost of my rifle, ha! I've been very happy with my Edge. Inexpensive, accurate. I kick myself for buying the scope package though, just like my brother told me I would. Oh well, the Bushnell can downgrade to the .22.

#12 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

Any input on the Panorama?

#13 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Just ordered a Varmint 4-16

#14 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Oh, buckets. I realized I will probably need rings for the slightly larger objective and the rings that were on the rifle are probably going with the scope...now to figure out what I need. Going from 40mm to 44 on a Savage Edge. Need to figure out if I can get by with Low or need Medium...

#15 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Varmint showed up today. I scored some free medium rings, they work. Might be able to get away with low, but the cheek weld works as-is, was afraid it might be too high. The scope body is a bit short for my ring/base spacing on my Savage Edge, and I have two separate bases, so I have no flexibility in fore/aft adjustment....luckily the eye relief works where it barely fits 'tween the rings. I might upgrade to a one piece base for some adjustability if it seems to need it once I actually get it in the field. Bolt handle baaaaarely clears the ocular lens.Like the clear flip-out lens covers. Could shoot with them on if in a hurry. Glass seems good, only peeked out out my back door so far, at 16 it seems a little, I don't know, fuzzy or dark or something, but haven't played with th focusing much yet, and I know some loss of light is to be expected at high magnification. Need to fiddle with it more. I've never looked thru an $$$ scope, so what do I know? :-DI think I like the reticle. I wanted it very fine, and that's what I got. I don't want to obscure small targets, (ground squirrels here are only 2-3" long) and it should work for that, but if one was in a hurry to pick out dots, they might be too small for rapid target acquisition - but this isn't a tacticool rifle. :-D I scoped some pigeons on the powerline in the alley and I'm pretty sure I could see to shoot one's eye out if the rifle and I shoot accurately enough. Was a little disappointed to see China on it, with all the good reviews, I'm not too worried about quality, just the patriotic thing. Probably brave the heat a bit later and go poke some holes in something. Weather 103°F | °CDang!

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Good luck with your new scope. Keep us filled in after you have had a chance to use it and do some practical shooting.

#17 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

Will do. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users