9 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

I have a revolver in 45acp & used it for shooting steel with factory WWB 230 ball . What I want to do is load it " down " to reduce the " kick " that it has . when i loaded for my colt commander I used 5.2grns of 231 and the gun cycled without issue . But i do see on winch page that 4.4 grains of trailboss throws them out at 640?FPS using 200 LSWC . I do not need them to make a gun cycle , i just need them to not get stuck in the bbl : ) Anyone use Traiboss & load them that light ? what were your results , accuracy ? I will not be shooting beyond 25' if that . Need to mark most of the steel & knockdown a few for bonus points . Only way to check them will be load them and see if they will knockdown . Andy

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Be very careful as far as what bullet you shoot at lower velocities. You can get away with a lot if you use lead. Copper (even plated), however, is much harder and much less forgiving. Learned that one (the hard way) many, many moons ago. I now only play with lead when I want reduced (fun) loads.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Low power loads are scarey. A guy I work with ruined a 10mm S&W revolver loaded with low power .40 loads that worked fine in his beratta 96........I want to tell the story but its almost to stupid to believe.......but believe it or not, Gods honest truth, he was up in the hills shooting at a stump trying to sight it in but he couldn't see where his shots were landing so he had another guy shoot it. Eventually the other guy asks for a full power 10mm load to see of they can see where its impacting...BOOM!!!!!!! They stuck a total of seven slugs in that barrel. The last one split the frame where the barrel screws in and pushed the barrel about ten threads out of the frame. Needless to say nobody asks him for any gun relayed advice. Why the low power loads? Because he hunts hogs with dogs and one time he blasted a .44 slug thru a pig and into one of his dogs. Duh.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Don't feel too bad clampdaddy, had a very good friend do the same thing about 15-20 years ago. He decided to start handloading on his own (no help from myself or family that had been doing it for years) and used the Lee powder dippers. Problem was, he didn't understand the concept of different powders require different volume scoopers :) . He came by after a range trip with three bullets lodged in the barrel (an old model 19 police trade-in). I took it out to the garage, put it in a vise, the took a hammer to the side of the barrel and bent the bejesus out of it. Told him "Being ignorant/stupid only cost you a gun this time. Be thankful it didn't cost you EVERYTHING". He is now quite an accomplished and weary reloader. What I don't understand is this, IF THEY DON'T THINK ANYTHING CAME OUT OF THE BARREL, WHY THE HE!! DON'T THEY TAKE 10 SECONDS TO CLEAR IT AND LOOK?! :) :good:

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Clampdaddy & Bisley , i know what you are talking about . I have heard of the same thing since I got into guns 91' & more so since I started reloading 97 . Thats why I am going to be using the loading data provided by Winch on their site . The load I am wondering if anyone has used is the load for "TrailBoss " . Its min is like 4.4 grains , running about 640 fps , Winch LPP and 200grain LSWCs . Its max is 6.? running it up to 8?? Fps with the 200 grain LSWC boolit . My goal is to remove some of the recoil so I can stay on targets better when I have to dbl tap . If I hit high on the 1st , the 2nd would go over the top of the target . I know , aiming lower would help too . Andy

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

You are definitely using the right bullet (lead). I have not used Trail Boss with anything, so that I can not help you with. I do however load my .44 extremely light (5.5grs of Bullseye) with LSWC. VERY fun, and very straight shooting in all the .44's (3) I have tried them in. Just play it extremely safe and you should be ok. If you EVEN THINK nothing came out the barrel, CHECK IT!!! And do not rapid fire while testing new unknown loads! You will probably find though that your pistol will not cycle before a bullet does not exit, but not always. If they are clearing, but it is not cycling, you can always lighten the slide spring for that particular load. Just change it before you go back to full house loads and beat the poor girl up :good: .Somewhat reduced loads can be a blast, you just have t pay very close attention to what you're doing. But you should (in theory) always be doing that anyways :). I always tell everyone, "Just remember, you're actually making very small bombs here.....". A lot of truth to that statement.Now go have some fun.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

tried ti highlight your statement about cycling Bisley . I am using a revolver . S&W 625 , so " cycling " will never be an issue . It will just rotate to the next chamber . But YES , I will be shooting singles & checking paper or steel to make sure that something came out of the bbl . You mention you have " .44s " . have you ever tried speed loading them ? as in competion ? Thats why I also asked about the boolit . SWC should dive in to the chambers on a moonclip . But what about where the Wadcutter part starts ? will it snag ? Was thinking about " scrounging " up 6 200gr LSWCs & 6 RNFP & 6 " ball " boolits but dont want 230 and seeing what happens on speed loading on the moonclips . With " mock " loads . Not live . Bisley , If you 'd like to see what I am talking about , you would be more than welcome to come over the house Sat / Sun and help me with your opinion on it . Aslo i wouldn't mind hearing more about your " soft " 44 loads as I have a special (624) that I have with 8 speed loaders & want to use it in comp too . Andy

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Andy, I shoot in ICORE and have had some problems with the LSWC hanging up. I switched to the round nose, or RNFP and have no problems now. What competition are you shooting in?

#9 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

Its " action pistol " at Piru put on by " deadwood boys " (?) . Steel plates set up in 6 stages . randomly put through out the " stage " setting ( a fort , house w/ a hall way , ) you shoot as targets are presented . Some are open , some are through windows , around an obstruction , there's a Texas star that we shoot too . Every match the targets locations are changed . To me , it's for shits & giggles . They time us though . what ever load I use , it needs to be able to knockdown the " bonus " plates ( -1 sec from score ) . if I hit it & it does not fall , no bonus . i have seen the RN & RNFP . Am I wrong in thinking that lighter bullet will / can give less felt recoil ? i think a 230 going 700FPS recoils diff than a 200 or 185 going the same 700FPS . Is that wrong ? trying to keep the front sight down without moding the ***T out of the gun , moving me to " open " class . I do this just for shits & giggles . gets me out of the house 1 Sat a month when my back/ neck / knees / wrists aren't feeling like ***T . But i do have 3 guns that i want to shoot . 1) Hi power " competition " have 5 mags & holsters for gun/ mags . hate 9mm but its fun . have to clean as I shoot . 2) S&W 625 with 20 moonclips & a skeet bag I moded for just this use . 45acp , easy to reload . maybe do trigger job . 3)S&W 624 with 8 speed loaders ( need 3 more for comfort ) will use same moded skeet bag . 44 Special , has a great trigger , easy to shoot . and with the revolvers I am in a class by myself . Came in 1st last month ( i was the only shooter in Rev class ) The most I have seen are 2/maybe 3 Rev shooters , so I can always be 2nd,3rd, 4th . Granted i am still 38th overall but its for fun . Andy

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

I may just have to take you up on that. Looks like I should have the control arms back on the truck tonight or first thing tomorrow, so I will be mobile again. I'll pm you a little later (just took a break, still working on it) and work it out. You have to PROMISE not to laugh (too hard) at my poor dirty truck. I did wash her (over six months ago) :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users