• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

i got a call from him awhile ago telling me to come over and take all his "old guns", he hasn't shot them in about 30 years. so he opens up a false wall in his closet and starts pulling gun after gun out, long story short out comes this beautiful old bolt gun. a winchester model 70 in .30-06, made in 1952 with an old weaver 2.5-7x scope. oh man, my heart started racing! he's 94 years old and finally decided he should get rid of his guns before he passes. there were some other cool guns in there too, a parker brothers 1887 12 gauge side by side, a pre 64 winchester model 94 in 30-30, and a couple others. that afternoon i stripped every gun gun down, scrubbed them down and then oiled them. the model 70 needed a new butt pad so i took it to the gunsmith and had him install one along with leveling the scope. i picked it up today and have been fondling it ever since. it's no show piece, but he's shot scores of deer and a couple elk with it. i figure it can down a pig (which i what i'm after this year!) when i put it in the crosshairs. above anything else it means so much to me that i can have and use his guns. i know he and my grandma (also a great hunter) had some great trips and times with them, i'm hoping to do the same. ENJOY! Posted Image

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

My grandpa did the same thing with me. It's nice to know that he wanted to make sure that you got them. The Winchester is nice but let's see a pic of that Parker!!!! You grandpa had great taste in guns.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

actually the parker was my great grandpa's! grandpa's thought on it was "i don't know why your grandma held onto these old guns, they're probably no good." love the guy, but old stuff is cool. these are some bad pics, it's the basic model from 1887. i also have a couple stevens single shot shotguns, all of them were "farm" guns. for shooting rabbits and the such. awesome to me whether they work or not. we're talking about 100 years old on these guns.again, sorry for the bad pics. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Very cool stuff right there!

#5 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

That's super cool. I just got my grandpas old winchester model 94. I keep meaning to post pics. Anyhow, good for you!!

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Nice Parker!!! Are the barrels Damascus or steel? Sometimes the dates on old doubles are model or patent dates so it might be newer and have steel barrels. If so you might have a shooter and not just a wall hanger.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

thanks guys! red dog: i also got my grandma's model 94 in 30/30 but i put it in my dad's safe so my mom could shoot it. clampdady: when i took it apart i saw several patent dates in there, and then a separate one that was 1887. so i'm guessing that's the year of manufacture. i can't really tell on the barrel whether it's steel or not, but i'm going to take it into the gun shop and have the smith look at it. either way i just think it's plain cool.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Yes it is definitely cool. The parker was a top shelf gun in its day. If you can find the words "Vulcan" or "Trojan" on it you probably have a good shooter, assuming the action is still tight and lower pressure ammo is used.

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

That's a very cool old Parker. I'd have a competent gunsmith give it the once over. If it is Damascus, and doesn't have a high collector value, Briley can install steel sleeves that will make it a 16ga so it can be used with modern ammo. Absolutely no reason for it to be hanging on the wall...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thats realy cool. :) :)
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

just a follow up: i took the 30-06 and my weatherby in .243 winchester out to the range today, a little too windy for good groups but fun none the less. first, the 30-06 has a stiff recoil! not crazy but i'm used to the .243. secondly, i think i need to check to see if the scope rings are actually tight, cause the 30-06 wouldn't group for anything! my grandpa had told me to put a new scope on it, maybe he was right. since he always hunted off of horses i have a feeling it got banged up a little too much or took a fall out of the scabbard.the weatherby on the other hand, man what a shooter. this was my first centerfire rifle, and i still love shooting it. i'll update when i get the winchester sorted out.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

I have a Winchester exactly like yours (shot my first deer with it) and after doing some research I found out that they are very particular about how the action screws are tightened. You want the front one sinched down good and tight, the rear one pretty tight, and the middle one kinda tight. The barrel screw is a whole other ball of wax. Some shoot better tight and some shoot better with the screw removed. One thing to watch is to make sure the front screw doesn't protrude into the front receiver ring and rub on the bolts locking lug. If it rubs it will show on the right lug.

#13 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

thanks for the heads up! i'm gonna take it to my actual gun smith and let him sort it out, he's always done great work for me and is honest. he built my 10/22 and that thing is a freaking tack driver. right now though i have to just sit on this gun, i have half a mind to just take the scope off and shoot it open sights since it has those. thanks again man, this is a new rifle to me and don't really know the intricacies of this design.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

I love that old double and the winchester is nice too.the 3006 is not really that bad as in recoil once you get use to it for me it feels more like a push.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

i wasn't trying to complain, it's just more than my 12 gauge and the .243. not bad or unruly. i worked on it some last night and sure enough some of the screws were loose on the scope rings, i tightened them up and we'll see what happens. i don't know, i just want to shoot it, not work on it or throw more money at it.

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Very nice, Indeed
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users