• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Went to a yard sale a couple weeks ago of a fellow member of my hunting club. Came away with some nice stuff, skinning knife, scope, and some ammo. He used to own a gun shop and had some old stock for sale. I had bought a Rem 700 in 243 from him a while back and I asked him if he happened to have a revolver I've wanted for years, a Ruger Single Six Convertible, 22/22 mag., 5 1/2" barrel in stainless steel. He kinda rolled his eyes and said "Let me go see what I have in the safe" A few minutes later he came out with exactly what I was looking for and another Single Six in the Bisley model. Both new in the box. He had bought them over 25 years ago intending to start a Ruger Single Action Collection, that never got off the ground.Well after coming to a fair price I snatched up the Single Six Convertible. It will come in handy as a defensive weapon against the Cedarville Squirrels when they charge our shooting tables :good:

Attached Files

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Very nice, Frank, and Congratulations on your fine purchase. Those (single six convertables) are one of the firearms Ruger got right, including the Bisleys. I originally had bought that same gun MANY yrs ago, only blue instead of stainless & later sold it. Then about a half dozen or more(?) years ago I bought another (blue barreled) single six in 9 1/2", but this time it stays. For the most part, I really like the 22 mag ammo best in this gun.Anyway, :good: Frank

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Those (single six convertables) are one of the firearms Ruger got right, including the Bisleys.

.....including especially the Bisleys :lol: But I may be partial since years ago that gun was nicknamed after a hell of a kid........OR, just maybe it was the other way around :good:

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

LOL... Too funny, Bisley... and I'm sure it was the other way around also. lolI was actually trying to decide which of those two words to use, & I have to agree, "especially" is definitely the correct one. I have always been a BIG fan of the Bisley revolver, & still cannot believe that I do not own one. Ugh! Go figure!?Frank

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

But don't forget the gun that actually make Ruger what it is today, the Ruger Mark I semi-automatic. It was, and still is, one of the best 22lr semi's you can purchase. Actually, to be perfectly correct, it wasn't called Mark I until about 1951. Prior to that it was called the Red Eagle, and was first built in 1949.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

I also have a Mark II with a 5" bull barrel, very accurate and fun to shoot.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

You now have two of the finest .22's ever made, congrats. As I've said many times before, I had an original (not sent in for recall) Single Six that I had given away as a promise to my best friend and hunting partner. And while I never regret giving it to him, I absolutely do miss it. Hope yours brings you as much joy as mine brought me.

#8 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

I have had my Rugar convertible (blued) for to long to remember. I usually take it out plinking half a dozen times a year.The grand son loves this gun and usually winds up shooting clay pigeons with me out in the desert.The gun will stay with me until I kick back at which time my grand son will get lucky and inherit the Rugar six gun. :good:

#9 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Do those of you that have one of these revolvers prefer the Lr ammo or the Magnum stuff?

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

To me it depends on what you are going to be doing. If you are just plinking cans and such, the long rifle is the way to go, but if you are actually trying to kill something, I prefer the magnum.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

No one could state it any better. The .22mag and rabbits is about as good as it gets. Same for the .22lr and fun (plinking). However, they will shoot to different points of impact. Very important to know before you hunt with it.

#12 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

Congrats!I love my 6.5", in case you hadn't caught that by my handle. It was my first firearm, learned to shoot with it. Many people recommend them as a starter gun and it worked for me. I'd go shoot a little bit after work every day. I got to where I could pick off .45 cases at several yards and shotgun shells at further distances. It's great for stalking small game/varmints. Interested in the the Bis...Like to see the pics bigger if possible.

#13 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

The pictures shown are both of the Single Six Convertible. PM sent

#14 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:23 AM

Great find Frank!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#15 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

I love mine - I got it about a year ago - the Single Six Hunter actually. I use it every month in our smallbore silhouette match, and have won a few times with it. I still have not tried the Mag cylinder yet, guess I should hit the Great Wallmart of China and pick up some .22 Mag ammo and give it a go one of these days. I sure would be fun on rabbits...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Nice purchase Frank. They didn't have them in stainless when I got mine or I would have gotten one. But mine has been a great field sidearm and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Just returned home from the shooting my 9 1/2" single six revolver at the range... along with a couple other firearms, including my 22 mag Savage rifle. I shoot magnum 22's almost exclusively in my handgun, liking the extra (baby) horsepower. I can at least almost hit something wit the rifle though, which is sorta nice too. lolLike many others I will keep this one, never giving or selling this one away like I had my first one decades ago. Hey, at least I DID learn a little. LOLFrank

#18 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

Got out and shot the new Single Six today. Very nice and I think I will use the 22 Mag. ammo for killing and the LR ammo for everytrhing else. I am very happy with this revolver. Should have done this years ago...Never too late to have some fun.

#19 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

They can be very accurate. The previous owner of mine once took 3rd I think in a silhouette competition against guys with scoped Contenders. I haven't done it yet, but some people go so far as to number their chambers and test each for accuracy. 'Nother excuse to go to the range

#20 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well,at least you've got a real good excuse.Yeah,wished I had mine back.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#21 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Real nice find.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#22 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

I love that gun. Insert "drooling" emoticon

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#23 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Beautiful gun, Frank. I want one now! :smiley_green_with_envy:
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users