• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

hey, first thread here. to be completely honest i've never really be drawn to the AR platform, i've shot some and think they're a great rifle. however they've always been a little ugly to me. this is not a dig on anyone or the gun. but i've been reading alot about guys who are building varmint guns on the AR platform and that seemed very appealing to me. i had my eye on an accurized mini 14, but the AR seemed to be easier to work on and have a lot more choices when it came to accessories. so i put some money down on a sun devil lower and started the dros on it. picked it up today along with some extra parts like a different grip, a stock and a couple mags. i'm thinking of using a rock river arms varmint (or whatever they call it) upper in either .223 or .204. i haven't decided yet. i also have to save up and buy a scope for it along with a bipod. this gun should fill the void between my 10/22 and my .243. i've always wanted a centerfire 22 rifle for squirrels and stuff and am finally getting around to it. so here are all the pieces, i have a friend coming over after work to help me put it together. i'll post some more pics when i get more done on it. for those interested in the parts list i'm using a sundevil lower, dpms lower parts kit, ergo grip, generic stock and buffer assembly, and for now i bought a couple pro mag 10 rounders to use in it. and yes, i do have the bullet button to go on it but i don't know what brand it is as it came with the lower, the store includes it in the price. Posted Image

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Welcome to the world of ARs. There are some pretty good videos on youtube that make assembly a breeze. Enjoy!!!

#3 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

thanks! yeah i've watched a lot of those vids. figure i could do it myself, my buddy offered to help so since he's done this before i might as well take him up for it.

#4 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

friend couldn't make it so i went for it. no mishaps, glad i have a big tool collection as i used some i never had used before. this took me about an hour and a half to build, i probably could have cranked this out in about 20-30 minutes but i took my time as i wanted to take my time and be careful. i'm glad i did, if i build another one it should go smoother and faster.anyways, it's all done, here's some more pics.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageenjoy, now it's time to sell some things and pinch some pennies for the upper.

#5 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

looking good already

#6 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

for those interested i ordered a stag arms 6H upper today from the local gun store. should be here the end of next week. don't know if i'll have all the money then, but at least i can make payments on it.

#7 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Started my first AR build today. Starting with a Franklin Armory stripped lower and building from there. Using Personal Defense Weapons in El Dorado Hills for this build. I see the Stag Arms 6H is a 24 inch bull barrel for $595 in their catalog. I'm thinking shorter and lighter for my AR but haven't made that decision yet. Any suggestions from those that have been down this road before. I hope to make this AR my primary predator/ varmint gun. I do alot of hiking when I hunt and want to keep the weight down.

#8 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

others might have better suggestions, but rock river arms have the "predator pursuit". still a bull barrel, just lighter than normal ones.http://www.rockriver...category_id=271

#9 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

the upper came in today! i put some more money down on it and will pick it up friday when i get paid. for now i'm going to put a 3-9 on it as i have an extra bushnell laying around. dad and i are going to cabela's in reno in about two weeks because we have the "friends and family" coupon our buddy sent us. he works for cabela's and hooks us up with the coupon when it's available. i plan on getting one of these scopes to put on it, the 6-18 model. http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Productsi'll post some pics when i get the upper. when it's all done i'm going to camo it.

#10 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

all together, ready to be sighted in tamale!!!Posted Image

#11 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

That looks really really nice, Congrats.

#12 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

thanks guys! i started the camo job tonight, i couldn't wait... i might adjust it a little (color wise) tomorrow, i like to walk away from a camo job and then look at it later to see if i like it. beings it ain't an exact science and all sometimes i like it, sometimes not. anyways, enjoy!Posted Image

#13 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

Nice Camo too!

#14 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

i couldn't wait, and since i had an early day today, i took my rifle in to get the trigger worked on. for those in the stockton area (or nearby and are looking to get some quality work done) i dropped it off with matt huston. he said he could get it down to about 3 pounds or less with no creep and super smooth. i might at some point get a better trigger but for now this is what is in my budget. i'm post another review when i get it back.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

forgot to post a range pic. here is a group i shot with tula ammo (the $5 per 20 box) pretty crappy stuff! i had a misfeed, cleared it and reloaded it. the two flyers were a result of that. oh well, that's 10 shots at 100 yards. not too shabby in my book. now i'm getting an itchy trigger finger to shoot it once it's back from the smith and with some nice ammo. Posted Image

#16 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

not bad at all, good choice on the rra upper.

#17 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

i went with the stag 6H, the RRA stuff looks super nice but the gun shop near my house sells a lot of stag. and they have built several there with them, this was their recommended set up. ammo cost was a factor in the decision. i still might get a .204 RRA upper though, just cause i might "need" it.

#18 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

forgot to post a range pic. here is a group i shot with tula ammo (the $5 per 20 box) pretty crappy stuff! i had a misfeed, cleared it and reloaded it. the two flyers were a result of that. oh well, that's 10 shots at 100 yards. not too shabby in my book. now i'm getting an itchy trigger finger to shoot it once it's back from the smith and with some nice ammo. Posted Image

Chuckocaster very nice groups for Tula ammo.Try using some 62 grain hollow points with your AR on your next range trip. My Stag 6H upper loves them and gives great results. I have no problems hitting clays out to 300 meters with this rig.Posted ImageThis is the 300 meter range at Coalinga, if you look closely you can see the orange clays on the left. Posted ImageBB

#19 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

If you do decide to build a .204 upper, this barrel is well worth saving up for. I used one for my .204 AR build and it shoots bug holes at 100-yards using 32-grain Sierras. Nice job on your first build.

#20 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

awesome! thanks for the tips. i should be getting my gun back in a day or so from the smith. then it's range time to run some quality ammo thru it and get accustomed to the gun more. i'm taking a trip to reno the weekend of the 25th so i plan on strapping this puppy to the atv and seeing if i can't blow up some squirrels when we're riding around. thanks again guys, this site has been very helpful and friendly. it's good to find a place where people share and not slander. and yeah, i'm pretty proud of this gun. like i've said a couple times before i had to make a couple concessions for now, but hopefully soon i'll get it all done. take care everyone.

#21 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

it's back from the smith, nice 3.5lb pull. not the lightest but it's super smooth and crisp. i had enough money left over to get a bipod also. Posted Image

#22 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Nice job. It looks great. Now git er done and call in some yotes for a surprise party. Best of luck with the new baby. :signs1180lq:

#23 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

That ar fits perfectly with the toyes in the background, you're good to go.

#24 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

thanks guys, i just got back from a ranch i have access to for shooting and hunting. i set up a gallery course and marked out 100, 150, and 180 yards. i shot federal, remington, and hornady v max loads. all grouped close enough for practical use, the hornadys shot a little flatter which is what i was after anyways. all shot great through the gun and i was blowing up bottles at all distances. tons of fun! my dad and i are going up to stampede reservoir next weekend so hopefully i'll have some pics from that. also i hope to have enough money left over from the paycheck to pick up a new scope. this one is fine but if i'm gonna be popping squirrels past 200 yards i want a little more zoom on the scope. 9x was working just fine though.

#25 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Tell me those bottles were plastic and not glass. I hate people that shoot glass bottles and get glass all over the place.

#26 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

set up looks good but I rather use the hood of my truck or a portable table bench .I see a pipe poison station do you know if they still keep bait in it ? what will really ruin your spot is if they start throwing the bait in the holes!

#28 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

i don't know, maybe? i don't shoot squirrels on this ranch, just the rabbits. this shot is where i shoot at targets, i can get out to about 200 yards. one of these days we'll pin up the cows and shoot diagonally across the field, it's about 350-400 that way.

#29 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

Here is a target from my last outing using some Silver Bear 62 grain HP. Sweet little 4 shot group with 1 flyer. Nice tight 3 shot clover.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users