• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I have a choice between my Cummins Dodge and my wife's '98 4runner V6 5speed 4x4 (got a her an '04). The 4runner makes a good little hunting/camping rig but the Dodge does other stuff better - towing, offroading. I'm wondering about the diesel engine noise and critters. How big of an issue is it? Thanks

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Quite a Big difference in sound between the two. But if the location you are hunting is frequented by Diesel engines, they critters are prolly used to it. JMO

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ditto what Ornery said. Most vehicles that an animal hears do not contain hunters or represent a threat. (It might SEEM to us hunters that every other truck is full of other hunters but it ain't so.) Since you can't hunt from your vehicle anyway, you will be walking some distance from it after you turn off the engine. An animal is going to be more concerned with smelling you than what you drove there. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

I don't know about you, but most places I go to, the roads are so washed out that just the noise of your vehicle rattling down it is just as loud or louder than the motor. Even more so with snow and loose rocks crunching under the tires. I've stopped and watched coyotes within 100 yards as I rolled up on them in quads. Never even cared about us. Anyways, if your Dodge is 2003 or newer, they're not near as bad as they used to be (new technology, pre-injectors I believe). My 2001 Cummins however, that thing could wake deaf man's corpse!!! Less worrying, more hunting :smiley_green_with_envy:

#5 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Yeah it's a hotrodded '95, so it's quite noisy. It's in the shop getting the headgasket done, maybe when I get it back I'll take it out where the jacks are and see if it makes a difference. I know you can't hunt from veh, but I do hunt some big open areas where I drive, walk, glass/call, repeat. Gotta make up my mind, sell one or the other. Actually, I sold the 4runner but the buyer's family grew, so they want to sell it back and get a minivan, so I'd have to sell the dodge to buy it back....which would leave me a little $ left over for hunting gear, etc. Well, actually, I guess I should put it towards the '04 Runner. Dang.

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

the place I GS at has tractors & 2 farm trucks . he swears that they never run off and are more tolerant of the noises from those vehicles . But when we hunt we go up in a 454 suburban 4x4 and its LOUD . think it gets 9-10 a gallon . but I have asked about noise as I hunt using my car . Most said it should be good . But I would hear a freakn noise that it took me awhile to figure out . It was the lic plate frame because it only has screws on the top , the bottom rattles like a MOFO . I have been sticking shrubbery in between the piece & frame . I never turn off my car as I am by myself & almost NEVER see others out there . I park get out & hike for 5-30 mins away from the car , then head back to car . I can hear my fan running from a distance . Question : does it effect the Jacks that much ? Also the headlights do not turn off , should I cover them ? I see Jacks from 10' out to 500+yrds but does the fan noise " tell " them something is going wrong / not normal ? Thank you ,, Andy

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

Most of the coyotes Ive shot have been close to farm machinery. they dont seem to care or even notice a farm truck or tractor till it stops. then they are focused on it. I dont know how mountian coyotes react, other than those I see along the road. I see coyotes along the hiway at least once a week, and mostly they get clear of the road and hide as quickly as posible. what I dont know is how long they remain hidden before they go on there way. and Im always amaised at how small a weed patch they can hide in. so at least in farm country I dont think your diesel would be a disadvantage. DR

#8 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm farm/desert

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Yeah, if coyotes are used to the noise, it may not matter much. MAYBE! However, if they live in a normally quiet environment, it certainly can't help matters any, as diesels are L O U D... and annoying; to me anyhow (never mind the coyote). LOLOn one particular occasion, I pulled into a quiet area & turned off the (gasoline) truck & started getting my gear out. Immediately a coyote starts chewing me out from a few hundred yards away. I hadn't even had a chance to piss him off on purpose yet, & he's carrying on like crazy. Another coyote from behind us joins in for a few yaps. The 1st dog telling the whole dang neighborhood.If the (above) coyote had not heard or seen my truck, he certainly would have with a diesel & the gig up for sure. Noise is usually not conducive to hunting. With that in mind, I cannot see how a NOISY diesel would be your friend in the hunting world.My :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Frank

#10 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

I manage diggers in San Joaquin Co. What I've observed is after I take several shots and the squirrels are down, if a car or truck drives past the squirrels must think the danger is gone. The majority of time they start to peek looking for the all clear.

#11 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

What I have notice is that the animal notice vehicles at all times but become more alert whenever one stops near them. I usually go past an animal a ways before I stop and get out. A lot of the time the animal is still in the area sometimes their not.

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

I just shoot hem before I even stop, I learned that technique while working in LA.

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

Shoot em? Hell, save the ammo jawbreaker and just run em over :closedeyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users