• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Nice, do they have them in left hand?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

I don't see that on their site and it sounds like they only have certain stocks as left-handed.http://www.boydsguns...e-only-s/62.htm

I'm an airgunholic

#4 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

That's a nice looking stock. How much work did it take to get the mrod to fit in it? Is it lighter than the factory stock.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

Not too much work. I bought a round bottom router bit that is 1-1/4" diameter for the air tube groove. I would say I spent 4 hours on it to inlet and then 3 hours to finish and assemble with gun and that is high side. I am not a big woodworking guy.

I'm an airgunholic

#6 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

I met a really nice guy on the Yellow forum that is doing mine as we speak. He is in West Virgin-ia and is doing the work for free. I would like to think it is because I am such a nice guy but it is because I am so handicapped. He does this fore us types, and he has all the right equipment. With any luck it could show sometime next week. I am going to hold off prepping the stock.....because we here in California might have to paint them ORANGE. I will surly cry when I have to do my Daystate Air Wolf.I did get a 4,500 psi air tank today from Fed-Ex. Now I have two 3,000 PSI tanks along with the 4,500 PSI tank. I will fill as much as I can with the scuba tanks and then top off with the 4,500 psi. By just using the 4,500 tank I should get 64 fills by refilling from 2,000 in the gun to 3,000 full. By using the scuba first, the number goes way up. You sure did a beautiful job on your stock. I love it.

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Aren't all of the gang members painting their AK-47s orange then?

I'm an airgunholic

#8 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not good with wood but for $50 what the heck. The stock is my only real gripe about my .25 mrod, other than that I love it. That round bottom router, it that a bit for a drill?

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

The gun show finish is what speeds it up. It is start to finish literally in less than 3 hours (during a gun show). You use a little bottle of Tru-oil and believe or not plain Armor-all as an accelerant/catalyst. It sounded crazy to me when I first did it 20 years ago but it works well. This stock has 5 coats on it with a ten minute dry time after the accelerant is wiped off a 0000 steel wool inbetween. I stopped there but you can put on more coats without sanding inbetween and use coffee filters to wipe it down each coat and get a thick gloss finish (you don't need to spray it). And you use Tru-oil to seal the wood as well. If you are also crazy enough to try it, test this on some throw away wood before you attempt it on a stock! For me being not a wood person it comes out better sometimes than when I spend weeks doing a hand rubbed Tung oil stock.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

Nice looking stock. Good job on the fit and finish.

"Every Day Is My Friday"

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not good with wood but for $50 what the heck. The stock is my only real gripe about my .25 mrod, other than that I love it. That round bottom router, it that a bit for a drill?

They can be used in a milling machine, router, or drill press and have a 1/2" shift. It is much faster if you can borrow someones milling machine for an hour or two. I think all of the inletting can be done in about 3 hours with a milling machine. A drill press would be a must but the air tube grrove really needs a router table or milling machine.The bits are pretty inexpensive here:http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/The round bottom 1-1/4" bit was about $20.

I'm an airgunholic

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Aren't all of the gang members painting their AK-47s orange then?

Every week at our gun club we have a trap shoot. There is a CHP that shoots every week. He says that the "gang bangers" already paint the guns with a orange tip so the officers will not shoot first. This gives the G/B's enough time to aim and fire first. No wonder minor kids get shot.

#13 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

They can be used in a milling machine, router, or drill press and have a 1/2" shift. It is much faster if you can borrow someones milling machine for an hour or two. I think all of the inletting can be done in about 3 hours with a milling machine. A drill press would be a must but the air tube grrove really needs a router table or milling machine.The bits are pretty inexpensive here:http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/The round bottom 1-1/4" bit was about $20.

I don't know anyone with a router. Probably take for ever, but you think you could do it with a dremel, chisels and sanding paper?

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:11 AM

Well the challenge is going to be the long airtube groove that must be perfectly straight.

I'm an airgunholic

#15 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info - just ordered one. Already have the router and bit for a Disco stock project, guess I should think about building a nice router table now...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

I cheated and borrowed a friends Milwaukee milling machine.

I'm an airgunholic

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:10 AM

I added two more coats of just Tru-Oil and then polished with Turtle wax polish (green container) for a high-gloss finish.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users