• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Fishing. cycling. golf. wing chun. tinkering in the garage on just about anything. Movies. My Aussie cattle dog "chopper" and now hunting

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm in the market for a new set of boots. I'm new to hunting and I plan on going after deer, boar and rabbit....possibly a few birds too. I'm a bit confused as to what level of insulation to get, and I presume they should be water proof...What is a good boot to suit any hunting occasion? Should I go leather or synthetic?

#2 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Juan Galindo- Last Light Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

any Irish setter. I have the upland game boot thats leather and has 200 grams of inslate (spelling)? they are a great boot. Lightest leather boot Ive owned two with the pair weighing in at 2 pounds I think. If your looking for camo boots they also have a good selection of light weight, waterproof and water resistant boots.

#3 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Juan Galindo- Last Light Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

OH YA DONT BUY WOLVERINE BOOTS THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!! Ive only have had mine for two seasons and have walk through them. Very weak midsol and a over all crappy boot.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

My favorite uninsulated boot is the 8" Danner Pronghorn for Cabela's, although I also have a pair of 9" Cabela's Outfitters that are comfortable and well built. I have a pair of Irish Setters that are insulated.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

Pronghorns are one of the highest rated hunting boots in all the various hunting forums. I picked up a new pair at the Cabelas in Utah when I was up skiing in January. Guess I should start taking them out on short hikes to get them ready for the season...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#6 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

+ 1 for the Danner Pronghorns.

#7 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

I can tell you from my backpacking experience that it takes about 40ish miles of easy day hikes to break in some stiffer boots, less if the trails are harder or steeper, more if the trails are flat and easy. My boots are cheap HiTech ones I bought at Big 5 for hiking. they work fine for me. Just remember with waterproofing, its only waterproof to the top of the boot, sounds obvious but Ive seen too many hikers go tromping through a creek crossing to their knees and blister the hell out of their feet. Always pack dry wool socks and some water shoes (I use sandals but old tennis shoes work good too)

#8 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

I agree that Danner probably makes the best hunting boot. But they are expensive. I got a pair of Bass Pro Shops REDHEAD line of hunting boots about three years ago. They are Gortex waterproofed, and insulated with 400g of whatever they use for that (Can't think of the brandname). I'm not sure what model the boots are. But they have kept me warm without being hot, and have certainly kept me dry. I have used them for every type of hunting I have done to include waterfowling, coyotes, deer, hog, and dove. I would definitely buy another pair.If you have a BPS near you, check them out. I would hestitant to purchase boots (or any clothing, for that matter) over the internet.

#9 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Irish Setter 818 Gunflint by Red Wing " ultra dry "tm waterproof 1000g Thinsulate ultra insulation Mossy Oak break up camo Bulls eye Air bob sole I LOVE my boots . I can hike my ass off in them in the heat . 97 last time i went GSing . was out from 9am to 5pm . I wore them up in Big Bear when I had to go through 18"+ of snow for 4 days . Walking the dogs for Pees & Poops . I know they are more insulated than most people like but I am the one person that always has cold feet . Not in these . I broke them in slowly by wearing them a few hours a day at home doing normal chores . Then I just got to were I could go 8 hours in them & my feet fell AWESOME !!!!! but the one thing I did do & probably pissed off the people at BassPro , I wore them & walked around for almost an hour in them . then I took them Not sure what they weight but they have saved me from a sprained ankle or two . I think they are 8/9" . Andy

#10 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Fishing. cycling. golf. wing chun. tinkering in the garage on just about anything. Movies. My Aussie cattle dog "chopper" and now hunting

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

I like the looks of the danner prong horns and the Irish setter elk trackers. What kind of insulation should I be looking for. I'll be doing most of my hunting in California, and in the winter at home in Ireland.

#11 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

I went out to Bass Pro Shop yesterday and walked out with a pair of Danner Pronghorns amongst other things. Cheers lads.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

How much did you pay for the if you don't mind telling?this is a great thread i to am in need of some new hunting boots.

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

Wow, don't I feel like a fool. All these years I've just worn my usual daily boots (Justin's, Double H's, old Tony Lama's), except for lava rock, then I may use my old pair of Die Hard Engineer work boots :pot: . But then again, besides my despise for shoe laces, walking boots would just severely clash with my Stetson. And there's no way I could hunt without my Stetson! :)

#14 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

They were $180ish before tax, comfy as hell. They have 400 grams of thinsulate. I tried on a few different pairs, these just felt the best. Also their after sales service is very good, according to the salesman!

#15 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

The best boots I've used are from Browning, their feather weights. Water proof, built strong, quiet and last forever. But, they're made of Kangaroo skin and are not to be imported to California. Since I know they make the size that fits me, I don't mind mail ordering them. I bought my last pair on ebay. Several sellers had the "Can not ship to California" warning. However I did find one seller that shipped them to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users