• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Since Father's Day and my dad's birthday are the same weekend, we decided to get him him the Mosin-Nagant he's always wanted to play with. I decided I would try and clean it up a little bit before we gave it to him and have him make a mess with it. And while I hate to gripe about a product that works so well, but this damn Cosmoline (or whatever the Commies used on their guns) is just a real bear to get off. Since our family is made up almost entirely of bolt actions and lever guns, I have not had a whole lot of experience with surplus weapons and that gooey crap they use to keep them from rusting. I had to replace an extractor on an M1 carbine bolt a while back and used gasoline and Hoppes with success, but the piece was small and still took a bit of work. I was just wondering if any of you gentlemen (or women) have come across anything that works any better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just realized while posting this, I'm watching Midway on tv and cleaning a war surplus rifle on Memorial Day. Thanks again to our Vets for allowing me to do this by keeping us free.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hey, Bis. I've been watching war movies and reloading myself this weekend. Got in some range time this morning with my .270 Win to celebrate Memorial Day, then came back and BBQ'd for the kids and their cousins while they were swimming. Pretty much a perfect day. I read on rimfirecentral.com that some guys were complaining the cosmoline was really tough to get out of the barrels on the CZ 452's. Some were saying they used brake cleaner to get it out. Now, I've never tried it and am not recommending it as I don't know whether or not brake cleaner might screw up your rifle's bluing or finish on the stock or whatever. Just passing on what I read so you can evaluate the idea. Take care,Mike

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Now that sounds like a picture perfect weekend. Thanks for the idea of brake cleaner. I got a few parts I'm not afraid to try it on (bayonet, cleaning kit, etc...). We shall see. Thanks again.

#4 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Wd 40
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#5 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Put the smaller parts in the oven on a tray, look it up on you tube...works good.
Don't be stupid

#6 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Wd 40

Wd40 works (or kerosene same stuff). Lighter fluid works too.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#7 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

WD-40 works well for me.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

Paint thinner is what I've always used.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks to all. I have plenty of everything mentioned. Will try them all and see which works best for me. Thanks again.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

Let us know what works best.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

I used oven cleaner, but i re-finished the stock and re-blued the metal too.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#12 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

Brake clean spray works well on any metal but not the wood. It will not hurt the blueing/park on metal but will remove finish on wood. I also have used gas/solvent/acetone/paint thinner. All work ok. I have used these on a rag to do the stock where the barrel/action sits and very carefully on the outside. Simple green and stuff like it works on the stock also. If you do it in the heat/sun then the stuff comes off easier. Another way is to put plastic on your dash then a towel(or paper towels) then the stock on them. Roll up the windows and park in the sun. The heat will cause the stuff to bleed out of the stock and the towels will absorb it. Watch and change towels as needed.

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

First off, thanks to all again for the help. I chickened out on using paint thinner, brake cleaner, or gasoline on the wood. I opted for the WD on that, which worked well. For the small parts, I soaked them in thinner for a bit, and then used the brake cleaner when possible (metal) to blow it off just because it doesn't leave the smell on my hands that WD, gun solvent, or gasoline do. The pressurized can also worked wonders for helping to blow it off, especially in tight spots. I would have tried the lighter fluid also on the wood, but I didn't have any. Thought I did, but didn't. It was warm in the garage, but not super hot, and I can see where heat would be your friend. I'll let pops do the real detail work, at least now he can unwrap it in the house without it looking like an oil spill. Mom has no sense of humor for that. Again, thank you for the help. It is now clean, and best of all, it doesn't smell like gas or Hoppes in the house where she's keeping it for him.

#14 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I know you already got it, but here's my $.02Take it out and shoot the crap out of it 'til it's hot! Clean and repeat as necessary.

#15 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Ive always had the sticky bolt problem from the cosmoline. Here is what I did.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#16 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

could try a pot or pan of boiling water get it out then lube with a spray

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Paint thinner won't damage any wood finish and will handle the removal easily. Just stay way from lacquer thinner or acetone. Both of those can strip the woods finish. For anyone that is fearful they may damage the finish you can buy Goof Off a commercially made cleanup liquid.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Gass and wire buffer. :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#19 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

I once totally stripped a sks and poured hot water over it and with the help of a tooth brush, it cleaned it right up..once the cosmoline was gone, i then hit it a second time to heat the metal up then sprayed breakfree on all metal parts..glenn

#20 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

boiling water is what the millitary has always used, especialy in bolts and trigger groups. then finish up with kerosine, or WD40. DR

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

Pull the action out of the stock and put the entire kit and kaboodle in the dishwasher (when the wife is not home). Sounds crazy but it works like a charm. I picked up that tip from all the guys on the curio and relic forum. It makes a crappy job very easy. It will also lift every ding on the stock and really improve the look of the wood. After you pull the stock out of the dish washer, let it dry for a few days, sand lightly with 220-grit and oil that pup up. It will look great. This was a dish washer job....Posted ImageYou may be interested in this too.....Mosin Nagant Project Rifle
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#22 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

brave man CA Desert Dog

#23 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

For putting it in the washer or for posting a sporterized Mosin on a public site where collectors might see it? Ha!

#24 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ha! Perhaps both. Nawwww...that Mosin I bubba'd is not exactly a collector item. The diswasher method does work though and it's easy and quick. Of course you dinners may have kind of a funny taste for a while but you won't have any regularity problems. :signs1242cn:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#25 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Preserves YOUR insides too, huh? :closedeyes:

#26 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

I'd be lying if I said I haven't eaten worse :closedeyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users