• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

I just got a killer deal on an older Remington 7400 chambered in .280 rem. I've always heard that gas guns require special attention when selecting powders. Anybody have an idea of where I should be on the burn rate for this cartridge? Reloader 19 offers excellent velocity in the .280 and I have a bunch of it but I don't know if the burn rate is ok for a gas gun. Any thoughts?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

For the Rem you do not need to be concerned. If it will cycle the gun then you are OK. It is the M1Garand that you need to be concerned about powder selection and IMR4895 was the powder that the gun was developed around. If RL19 is a bit slow contact me if you need something else to test with before you buy. I have loaded for several different chambering for the Rem auto's but do not know if I still have data for the 280. That is a under valued cartridge and a very good one.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Diver. I never paid much attention to powder selection when I loaded for my last Remington auto but some of my research has pointed in the direction that they will function on most any powder but you still want to stay in the proper burn rate parameters because increased bolt speed will negatively affect the overall lifespan of the gun. I've found recommendations for 30-06 loads but nothing for the .280. I have some faster powders like 4064 and 4320 so I'll try them first.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users