4 replies to this topic

#1 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

Went Fishing out of Newport Beach last Monday. Caught my limit and my wifes limit (shhhh dont tell anyone) of Sculpin and 3 Sand Dabs. I threw back probably 5 Sand Dabs and 15-20 undersize Sculpin, they were biting like crazy! Caught two Sand Dabs at one time! Was using double dropper loop rig with 2 glow in the dark fish skin bucktails with a piece of squid on each. My wife got pretty sea sick though... All in all she said she would go again. Will probably pick a place closer to home next month.

Attached Files

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Looks like you had fun. Sounds like your wife's a real trooper too. If you do come south to fish again, I can not recommend the crews out of Los Alamitos (Long Beach Marina Sportfishing) enough. Besdies always having better fish counts (the Captain just seems to be a fish magnet), they really go out of their way to help. Instead of getting frustrated with those of us who only a chance to go out monthly or so, instead of weekly, they make an extra effort to make sure your rigs are set and you're able to spend as much time as possible fishing. And I can't even begin to tell you how great they are with the young ones! Almost forgot, they're cheaper too. I've been out of both, and while I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Newport boats, you get even better service, usually more fish, and all for less money. If you would like, I can send you the link for their fish counts, it's a pain in the a$$ to find.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Nice jeffhunts but that ha to one of the longest drives I have heard of in a awhile . Glad you hhad a good time & a pat on the back to your wife for hanging in there . I like a captain / boat that ran out of Newport but man I hate getting there & parking , if you don't know which garage to use , scams you on the fee . Found one that charged 10 for overnight + . Its probably just me but when I see sculpin coming up . I like to fish slabs of mackeral either on a dropper loo or attached to a heavy jig . Redondo Bch used to have a couple of great spots for Sculpin . Fishing a slab I saw a 7-9#er come over the side & the guy mounted it . But that was back in 88' . Andy

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Congrats on the fish! I have been looking at the Yellowtail counts the last few days out of San Diego and I thought that was a drive. :pirashoot: I may look into going to Mexico later on this summer for some panga fishing if I can get my ducks in a row.

#5 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

Ya barking is a real %$#@ down in Newport. Never been their before. I usually cant stand the LA area, but its really nice there. I told my wife I think she is the only brunette in town lol.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users