• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Varmint and Predator hunting, airguns, working out, video games and beer.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Well I just put down money for a new Savage 12FV in .223 and I am looking at getting a new optic for it. I was looking at spending anywhere from $600-1200 for a optic (just dont tell my wife :signs1180lq: ) I have been looking at the different reticles and decided that I want a Varmint or Mil dot reticle.My main concern is spending too much on an optic that is going to out perform my rifle. The furthest out that I have ever shot a rifle accurately is 500M and that was with an M16. How far can I expect the .223 round to be accurate to with a bolt action? 500M? 600M? More? I will be using the rifle for ground squirrels, rabbits and Coyotes. I have read that with Coyotes the max range for a clean kill is usually around 300M. however, I would like to have an optic that can perform further out around 500-600M for ground squirrels, albeit the round can perform consistently at those ranges.I was considering something like Leupold VX 3 6.5-20x50mm long range and others like it.What do you guys think? Recommendations?
For those who have fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
USMC Infantry 06-10 OIFx2 combat vet.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

I think that 6.5-20 would be fine for long range, but for the majority of your shooting, which should be under 100 yards, it is just way too much scope. Think about what range you will NORMALLY be shooting, and scope for that. You will just be spending too much money for that rifle, in my opinion.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

I recently put a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 mil-dot (30 mm tube) on my .204 Ruger varmint rifle. It's a great scope. It has 68 MOA of elevation. Not a lot, but more than most. Normally $399 on OpticsPlanet with free shipping. But got a 10% off coupon for submitting a review on a product, so I got the scope for $359 delivered. And Vortex has the best warranty in the business. Mounted it with Burris Xtreme Tactical 30 mm low rings and Burris Xtreme Tactical 2-piece Picatinny bases on my Rem 700 VLSS. I'm really happy with it. It's great for 200-300 yard shots on small targets.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

I tried a Leupold 6.5 X 20 X 40mm on a 22-250 one time and didn't like it at all for coyotes. The eye relief on the 6.5 X 20 really sucked, it moved around depending on what power the scope was set on.Now all but one of my rifles have 4 X 12 Leupolds on them, my AR-15 223 Rem has a 2 X 7 Leupold on it. I have no trouble looking through the 4 X 12s no matter what power they are set on.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Well, since you included long range (500 yards +/-) shooting of squirrels and such, I guess the 6.5x20 might be a good choice. I personally do not like a 50mm lens however. Mike's 30mm would be a better choice. But hey?Most coyotes are shot up close & the 6.5 power is definitely a handicap "comparitively" speaking at close range. Even my 4.5x14 Leupold is not the best for coyotes up close. The better "coyote" scopes are 3x9, 2.5x8 & 2x7 etc etc, with my absolute favorite being the Zeiss Conquest Zplex 3x9. It doesn't get any better for dogs IMO. But again, you are wanting much (much) more than just a coyote rig, so yes, higher magnification at both ends is likely a better choice and I guess one can get used to most anything (for the coyotes). Mostly!Better yet, why not have 2 rifles for varmint & predator hunting, each more specialized for the game intended? Say a 223 for varmints & a 243 for predators. The 223 with a higher magnification scope & the 243 with a lesser magnified scope for example. This would also give you a spare rifle at the same time. Just a thought! :signs1180lq: Frank

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

I don't care for 50mm objectives either. The Viper has a 44mm objective lens. But the objective bell is low profile because the parallax adjustment is side focus rather than on the objective. So it fits with low rings, which is nice because it keeps the scope low to the barrel for a good cheek weld. The tube is 30mm as opposed to 1 inch. I agree that if I was looking for a scope for a sporter rifle to carry in the field and wanted a wide field of view, a 3-9x40 would be fine. I've got a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 duplex on one of my sporters and it's perfect for spot and stalk hunting. I also have a Leupold Variax III 3.5-10x40 duplex on a Tikka T3 Lite .243 Winchester and it's ideal for that rifle. The Viper with 20x magnification is more of a varmint scope and better for use on a heavy varmint or tactical rifle.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

I have a Savage Predator in .223 and I mounted a Hawke 4.5-16 X 38 Hawke Tactical scope on it. It is a perfect match for the rifle and it is all the scope you'll ever need for that rifle and your intended purpose. The 38MM objective lets you mount the scope low and close to the barrel. I have used my scope night hunting and the 38MM objective and advanced lens coatings pass plenty of light. I am very impressed with the performance and quality of this scope. This scope's SR6 reticle is also compatible with the free Hawke ballistic program. You'll never miss another long-range shot again. No guessing on where to hold. I have sold a good amount of Hawke optics to members on this forum and everybody has been very pleased with their purchase. It is a lot of scope for under $400 and if it is not everything I say it is and more, return it for a full refund. Our customer service is the best too, as well as the Hawke worldwide warranty. You can spend a lot more but the Hawke quality and features are very hard to beat....at any price.Go to our store and read about it.Posted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

That Hawke sure comes in a fancy high dollar case! What do you do with it once the scope is mounted on the rifle though?

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

:signs1180lq: That's exactly what I was thinking. Heck, the scope would be $50 cheaper if they sold it in a cardboard box like all the other scopes come.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

I can recommend the NEW!! VARMINT SF SIDE FOCUS RIFLE SCOPE - HALF-MIL DOT from Hawke,I NOW HAVE 2.I was soooooo Pleased with my first 6X24 Hawke with the side focus that I bought another for my 243.Bright crisp,clear well worth the money .Give John a call at RED HUNTER,hes is very knowledgeable.Here is the site if your interested - http://www.shop.redh...llc.com/main.sc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users