17 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Well it was one of the birthday presents that I got for my wife thinking she would have a blast. I made sure I loaded her up the whole week on ginger and then made sure we had Bonine for seasickness and I even got the wrist bandage pressure point bracelets too. It started out a good day. We had a nice breakfast and made our way to Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach for a 1/2 day trip. We stopped by a spot for some Sculpin and I managed a sculpin then Monica caught a nice sand dab. Posted ImageWe then moved to another spot and we managed some nice Salmon Grouper I think they are called. Posted ImageThen Monica got sick and she went to lay down. I checked in on her but there wasn't really anything we could do. So I continued fishing. I caught a nice speckled rock fish and we also got plenty of Chilipepper rockfish. Posted ImageThe lure for the day was a T and C glow in the dark swim grub (I am looking forward to using these for halibut and more rock fish.)Posted ImageShe eventually came out and fished some more but it was a tough time for her. We where going to go to the movies after but we fell asleep as soon as we got home. All in all it was a good day fishing but next time I will take her to a spa or something instead for her birthday.Posted ImageTight lines.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

That's to bad she got seasick. But it can happen to anyone. That was a very productive fishing trip for you though. Those curly tailed soft plastics sure do catch a variety of fish. :signs1180lq:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Great day for you! Too bad your wife got sick. Hope she forgets about it soon. Was the water ruff at all? Although I have never been seasick, I have seen many that have been and would not wish it any one. I think you are pretty smart about the spa thing on her next birthday, I might not even wait until then.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Water wasn't too ruff at all. It was a nice day but it hit her hard unfortunately. I told her I would make it up too her. So something is in the works for her soon. :signs1180lq: John:I was the guinea pig on those glow grubs. I spoke to Kevin one of the owners and he poured them up for me which was really cool. The glow in the dark grubs are great too off the jetty at night.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Alex, we have used similar glow grubs for salmon and stripers in the river near my home. They work really well. I used to pour my own curly tail grub trailers for my bass jigs way back in 1990. Back then no one made a twin curly tail trailer and I had one that was pumpkin colored with chartreuse tips that was killer on largemouth and stripers. It looked like a crawfish swimming through the water and when pitched into cover was pretty deadly. Now you can buy them which is allot easier than doing them on the stove. The wife was never crazy about me manufacturing soft plastics in her kitchen.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

Thats cool John. I was thinking about pouring my own but between fishing, hunting, school and work I barley have time to reload let alone garden. So many hobbies so little time. :signs1180lq:

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Looks like fun, too bad about the sea sickness though. I have only come close to having it once, the swells were so high water came in through the galley vent up top!!! No fun, and unfortunately, nothing you can do about it out there. I give her a ton credit for at least trying it though, that's more than a lot of other people I know would do. Was that the City of Long Beach that you guys were on? I noticed the barracuda are biting again, and can't decide if I want to go out on the Enterprise for another 3/4 trip again for barrys or go to the lake for striper and catfish this week (my birthday present to me).

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hey Bisley we went out of Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach. We would have gone for barracuda but apparently you need to go on a 3/4 day since the warmer water was further out. That would have been a blast since rockfish don't really take any drag out. I know that the sheephead are biting on the island from the reports I have read and some guys are pulling in white sea bass too. But either way you go you will have fun.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

That's too bad, they must have moved out farther because even the 1/2 day boats were catching the barracuda in Huntington Flats last week. And I hear ya, there's no way you can compare rockfish to a fish that makes that spool sing! We fried up some of the cuda we caught last week, and I'll tell ya, anybody that says it don't taste good has never tried it. But I still think my favorite is the sheephead. Damn good eating there. Shrimp is like a sheephead magnet too. Dang you BullsEye, you got me all fired up just thinking about it now. Thanks.

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

Shoot my freezer is full of fish and I am all fired up to go fish some more too. hahaha I really want to get my first Yellowtail this year so my fingers are crossed for them to come up this way if not I am going to have to head to SD for an over nighter. Good luck on your trip.

#11 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Bullseye, if you can get your wife to head out again, leave the wrist pressure deal at the dock. The best medication for preventing sea sickness is scopalamine, available in patch or pill form. Hands down it'll get her through it.Looks like a nice day out on the water. The salmon grouper are actually a species of rockfish called boccacio.

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

I will look into scopalamine. Is this a prescription only drug? I think if I can convince some of her girlfriends to come along she would go again. But at least our fridge is stocked full of fish. :)I just looked it up and its made from Jimson Weed aka Datura. That's some potent stuff there. The Chumash use to take it to hallucinate and go on vision quests. They also believed it would cure many diseases and that if a soul was witnessed on its way to Point Conception the person would have to take the Datura to call there soul back before dieing. THe Chumash anthropolgy is really interesting. Here is a wikipedia on the drughttp://en.wikipedia....iki/Scopolamine

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Shoot my freezer is full of fish and I am all fired up to go fish some more too. hahaha I really want to get my first Yellowtail this year so my fingers are crossed for them to come up this way if not I am going to have to head to SD for an over nighter. Good luck on your trip.

Thanks, I'm right there with you on the tuna. Each year I'm trying to catch at least on kind I have not caught yet. This year I will shooting for tuna or lingcod. If I can pull that off, maybe next year white sea bass? And possibly one day maybe even shark. It sounds we're both in the same boat when it comes to ocean fishing hahahaha :signs1180lq:

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

That looked like a fun day. For you any way.You got a good sport for a wife mine would of killed me.All those fish are great eating. :(
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#15 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

boccacio or un-mentionalbles. Good catch.

#16 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi Alex , My GF is in the same boat ( no pun intended ) but she only gets sick while moving , once we start fishing , she's fine . took her on a 11/2 day trip out of Diego . She was sick , then got a Yellowfin , Skippie & I let an Albacore kick her butt . She also gets car sick too . But I went out of Redondo on the AM half day and it was easy limits on the Slimes but I stopped at 6 . Which rig is that in the background of the pic ? Esther is too shallow . And far as getting a Yellowtail , when they pop for more than a day , get down there . They had the snap at the Coronados the other day & next day was mad house with little to no fish . And when you do go be prepaired to Flyline Sardine / Chovie ( 15-25# w/ #4 -2/0 )& Yo yo ( 6x's in scrambled egg & blue & white ) .Also , boats dont like it , i pop the gills on the to bleed them . makes a bit of differance . And most importantly make sure the boat you go on has a chilled / freezer / salt water hold . You don't want to spend 100+ & have your 5 fish limit go to crap because it sat in the sun all day . Even the better 3/4 day boats went RSW . Andy

#17 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Not sure on the rig.We where on our way home at that point but we where dropping 16 ounces of lead more then 300 feet deep. Not fuch of a fight but I am glad my freezer is full.Here is an after shot. I steamed this guy with some ginger and then poured some boiling olive oil over his back. Served with asparagus and lemon.Posted Image

#18 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

that looks nasty.
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users