#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Went to the range this afternoon to chronograph and zeroed the 338 for tomorrow's 1K competition. These new batch of reloads average around 2856 fps. Fired three shot at the target 525 yards away to verify my zero. The big girl was spot on. I hope the weather cooperate. Two successive matches were cancelled last time due to bad weather. The forecast is very good for tomorrow.Here's the 3 shot group at 525 yards.Posted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

Thats some fine shooting DF ! Good luck in the Match!
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#3 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

Where is your match, is it an f-class 1k match?

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:49 AM

I can't even SEE 500 yards away, much less hit it :good: Nice looking rifle... Good Luck in your matchFrank

#5 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

I'm with you Frank.. :good:

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Great Shooting!
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

You can't ask for a better day today. The temperature hovers around 70 degrees in the morning and the wind at steady 2 to 3 mph and occasionally gust to 5-6 MPH. It did got a bit hot in the afternoon but not by much. The match director changed the format of the match a bit. The first 5 shot was fired and are recorded for group. The smallest group wins a prize. You have 6 minutes to do these. The next 20 shot was fired successively with no line break. You were given 20 minutes to fire a total of 20 rounds.Man, the 338 gave me a sore shoulder. Between sight in shot and the recorded shot, I fired a total of 33 rounds. By the 25th round, I dreaded pulling the trigger. The kick was becoming unbearable. I'm surprised that I did so well. Although no podium finished this time, I was still close to the top. The first and second both scored 246 with 9 and 8 X respectively. The third place had a score of 245 with 4 X. I however scored 243 with 13 X. As a matter of fact, I believed I had the most X today. I'll find out when the score is publish. The smallest 5 shot group was 8 and 3/8". Mine measured 13 and 3/4". Overall though, I was please with the result of my shooting today.Here's the picture from the match.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHere's my score sheet.Posted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Where was the match?

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

At the Desert Marksman, Palmdale, CAThere's a total of 50 shooters, 10 in each group. There's two classes. 308 class which cover all non-magnum cartridges. The other is magnum class and that covers all magnum calibers including the 50BMG. The 338 dominated the match today. None of the 50 made it to the top.

#10 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

Thats amazing. I got to shoot at 1300 yds awhile ago and I have a new respect for those distances. Nice job and nice equipment DF.
Don't be stupid

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Jeremy.Yeah, tough shooting 1K. It's fun though. Just imagine placing your shot at the X ring. That's only 10" in diameter. I was just lucky that I was able to put 50% of my shot inside it lol.

#12 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:20 AM

Great pics and hardware Desert fox, and congratulations on your score. 1.375 MOA at 1000 yards is an amazing result.

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

Thanks Oz, It's tough to score the first 5 shot for groups since it is factored into the final score. A fellow competitor Matt Shafter, who was my scorer, is a long time competitor and was originally from Australia. He approached me after the match and introduced himself. He commended my shooting ability and I was humbled by it.

#14 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

Shots 1,2 and 3 were where they were supposed to be. That first shot is the one that counts. I think a .338 would make me a little jumpy after a few shots. Again real nice shooting.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Shot 1, 2 and 3 landed in the X ring hence the X was scored in the score sheet. The X counts for 10 points, the same score as in the 10 ring. The X is the tie breaker in case both shooter have the same total points. The aim is to hit the X ring for the highest possible score. We shoot a total of 25 rounds for a possible highest score of 250 - 25X. The first 5 shot was scored for group. The smallest group wins a prize.

#16 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

So whats the prize?
Don't be stupid

#17 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

Nice job Rommel! It was great getting to meet you a couple of weeks ago as well. Glad to hear that you did so well.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#18 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

So whats the prize?

A gift certificate from Peerles Rifle company.

#19 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Nice job Rommel! It was great getting to meet you a couple of weeks ago as well. Glad to hear that you did so well.Darren

Hey Thanks Darren. Nice to met you as well.

#20 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:36 AM

:signs1180lq: The distance would eliminate me...not the 338 abuse.Terrific shots and interesting commentary.

#21 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Rob, with the right equipment, anyone can do it. You will be surprise how many newbie won on their first time. Case in point, a 13 year old girl, shooting a 308, in only her 2nd time competing, won third place with a score of 245. Go figure!

#22 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:43 AM

You can do it, the right equipment, and the right training. Rommel - Did Dennis' explanation of calling the wind help you at all in that match?Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#23 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

That's amazing shooting, Desert Fox. Congratulations. I forget. Does your .338 have a muzzle brake to help tame the recoil?

#24 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

Rat, the muzzlebrake in my rifle is not very efficient in taming the recoil. It was design more for hunting. Slinging those 300 grainer around calls for a more efficient brake design.

#25 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:40 AM

You can do it, the right equipment, and the right training. Rommel - Did Dennis' explanation of calling the wind help you at all in that match?Darren

Yes! it did help me quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I'd adopted the shooting stance that Dennis recommended, and it made a big difference.Tell Dennis thank you for me.

#26 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Will do!Darren

#27 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

33 rounds out of a 338 mag is got to hurt lol i have only shot 10 out of mine in a row and i was sore .what weight bullet and powder are you using to get that thing out to 500 yards ? the loads im using right now in my 338 dont seem to do much after 200 but there not very good reloads the guy that did them used the wrong powder nice work and its cool to see the 338 out do the 50 lol sometimes bigger isnt better

#28 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

If I remember correctly, DF is shooting a 338 Lapua, a whole different animal than the 338 Win Mag!!

#29 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

33 rounds out of a 338 mag is got to hurt lol i have only shot 10 out of mine in a row and i was sore .what weight bullet and powder are you using to get that thing out to 500 yards ? the loads im using right now in my 338 dont seem to do much after 200 but there not very good reloads the guy that did them used the wrong powder nice work and its cool to see the 338 out do the 50 lol sometimes bigger isnt better

hump, I'm shooting the 338 Lapua Ackley Improved. My load consist of 95 grains of Retumbo, to propel the 300 grain Sierra Match King at around 2850 fps. Obviously, this is considerably more powerful than the 338 Winchester Magnum.Here's what the round look like in side by side comparison with some of the cartridge I have in my inventory.Posted ImageLeft to right: 6MM Remington, 6.5-284 Norma, 280 Remington, 308 Winchester, 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Weatherby Magnum and the 338 Lapua Ackley Improved.With 223 RemingtonPosted Image

#30 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Great posts and very good shooting, any freebore in that 338?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users