• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

I'm not a fan of the "17HMR" that chambers the long version of the cartridge, but I got a chance to shoot the 17 HMR Mach II and would like to buy one. What I'm confused about is which Ruger model 17HMR is chambered for the Mach II cartridge? At this moment it appears to me that the Ruger 77/17HMR is the model I'm looking for but Ruger's specs. aren't real clear on that. Anybody know if the 77/17 is the Mach II rotary magazine bolt action rifle I'm trying to find? :signs165xk:

#2 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

The 17HMR and 17mach2 are different cartridges. A necked down 22 magnum case is used for the 17HMR (Hornady Rimfire Magnum) while the little .17 mach2 uses a necked down 22LR case. If a rifle is chambered for 17Mach2 it will have that designation stamped on the barrel. There is no such thing as a 17HMR chambered in 17Mach2..

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

currently the only ones I know that are chambering for the 17M2 is Cooper, CZ, and Anshutz. the only one I have personal experiance with is the CZ. after some trigger work its a great shooter! I have one other 17M2, its a Marlin 25 that I rebarreled to 17M2. its also a tack driver. I like both 17s, but like the 17M2 is a favorite because I can still get ammo at under $6 for 50. now if they would just start loading lead free bullits in it .... DR

#4 jdogg

jdogg

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Just get a 10/22 and a conversion kit for the 17hm2, that's what i did. :DAnd they already got lead free ammo for the 17 hm2, but they are definitly NOT under $6.

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Ive been seeing rumors of lead free 17M2, but have yet to see or hold any! several retailers have them on there books but always show them as back ordered! if you have some could you point me to where you found them ? thanks DR

#6 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

I shoot the 17MACH ll in a Savage. Great shooting round for squirrels out to 100 yards.

#7 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

savage chambers the 17mach 2

#8 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

I shoot the 17MACH ll in a Savage. Great shooting round for squirrels out to 100 yards.

Much under appreciated round in my opinion. Flat shooting and a tack driver out of a decent rifle. Too bad some good manufacturers have discontinued the chambering due to lack of adequate sales. Will never get rid of mine. A ground squirrel killing machine :signs653wf:

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Why not just shoot the .22 Mag? Ammo is the same, or cheaper. Its been around forever, and will prolly not get displaced.. lol

#10 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

the Mach ll is a 22 LR necked down to .17. It has nothing to do with a .22 Mag. The 22 mag will ricochet when the Mach ll will not. Same thing for the 17 HMR which is a 22 Mag necked down to .17.

#11 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Why not just shoot the .22 Mag? Ammo is the same, or cheaper. Its been around forever, and will prolly not get displaced.. lol

You can get 17 hm2 ammo for about half the price of 22 mag. Just bought 2000 rounds for $5 including shipping the other day. I'm not worried about the round going out of production. Too many Mach2 shooters out there who appreciate it.

#12 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Meant to say $5/box of 50. My bad......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users