7 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

I have always heard that they are tasty so I figured I would try them out. I pulled two large fillets off of a medium size fish and froze them for later. I then defrosted the meat with water and some vinegar and when soft I cut the fillets into chunks. I made it real simple olive oil, salt, oregano and a little lemon. Had some tomato and cucumber salad and voila! Tasted really good. Will have to try it again sometime.Posted Image

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Looks good. But I really wanted to see a picture of the fish. Now I am going to have to do a search to see what one looks like. Thanks for continuing my education. Never even heard of one of those before.LOL I went and searched. I have caught one of those before in the bay. I catch stuff all most every time I go there that I do not know what it is called. I guess it is all about where you grow up and where you fish the most. Learn something new every day. LOL I turn a lot of fish loose because I do not know what they are down there.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hey Bennie,Here was the guest of honor prior to being all dressed up. With some friends of course. :signs165xk:Posted Image

#4 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

They're are great eating. Whenever I happen by a good sized one spearfishing, I'll take it home for dinner. We caught a huge one years ago off a research boat. The captain BBQ'd the shark and a large white sea bass on the grill. At the end of dinner half of the white sea bass was still sitting there and the guitar fish was gone.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

They're are?....dude. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

and here I thought they were called shovel nose sharks
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#7 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:19 AM

Rhinobatus productus...the shovel nose guitar fish.Ed, I'd put it on a plate and hand it to you and you'd be asking for seconds after you tasted it.

#8 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

I tried it a few years ago and it was better than i thought it would be. Grilled it like a halibut fillet and it was pretty alright. congrats and good eatin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users