7 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

I have always heard that they are tasty so I figured I would try them out. I pulled two large fillets off of a medium size fish and froze them for later. I then defrosted the meat with water and some vinegar and when soft I cut the fillets into chunks. I made it real simple olive oil, salt, oregano and a little lemon. Had some tomato and cucumber salad and voila! Tasted really good. Will have to try it again sometime.Posted Image

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Looks good. But I really wanted to see a picture of the fish. Now I am going to have to do a search to see what one looks like. Thanks for continuing my education. Never even heard of one of those before.LOL I went and searched. I have caught one of those before in the bay. I catch stuff all most every time I go there that I do not know what it is called. I guess it is all about where you grow up and where you fish the most. Learn something new every day. LOL I turn a lot of fish loose because I do not know what they are down there.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hey Bennie,Here was the guest of honor prior to being all dressed up. With some friends of course. :signs165xk:Posted Image

#4 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

They're are great eating. Whenever I happen by a good sized one spearfishing, I'll take it home for dinner. We caught a huge one years ago off a research boat. The captain BBQ'd the shark and a large white sea bass on the grill. At the end of dinner half of the white sea bass was still sitting there and the guitar fish was gone.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

They're are?....dude. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#6 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

and here I thought they were called shovel nose sharks

#7 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:19 AM

Rhinobatus productus...the shovel nose guitar fish.Ed, I'd put it on a plate and hand it to you and you'd be asking for seconds after you tasted it.

#8 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

I tried it a few years ago and it was better than i thought it would be. Grilled it like a halibut fillet and it was pretty alright. congrats and good eatin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users