3 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

I was helping my Dad clean out his 5th wheel trailer yesterday and came across something I had completely forgot about. A 13' Okuna surf pole I bought to replace my old one that I had since I was 18 (I had my parents send that rod to me when I got deployed to the Sinai Peninsula to do some fishing in the Red Sea). Anyway my old rod had seen better days and the guides were trashed so I picked up the Okuna for 30 bucks or so a few years back and completely forgot about it. I put the 3 sections together and just kept laughing to myself how huge this rod is, it's damn near ridiculous, my old one was maybe 10' IIRC. After messing with it a bit I got to checking everything out and noticed my old reel has seen better days. Unfortunately it's basically a hunk of plastic with a few bits of metal thrown in for GP, and the plastic has started showing it's nearly 20 years. I'm gonna have to replace it, found one I think would be ok (A Penn Fierce 8000) it's in my price range but I don't like buying things off the Internet unless I have seen it in person first. So to all you surf fishing gurus out there, what is a good reel for surf fishing that can be had for around $100? Looking for something in a spinning reel type with a high string test/yardage ratio. Oh and I totally plan on taking that monster on my little 14' Valco to the lake, I think my fishing buddies will get a good laugh out of that.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

I have had my Pen 750S for about 20 years and I just recently put new drag washers in it. That thing has seen some action too. I think they still make a similar version for around $100. Its great for rays shark rockfish etc. What type of fishing are you trying to to with this setup?

#3 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

My family usually fishes around Morro Bay, my Dad and I dive on the harbor side of Morro Rock. If the water isn't good for diving we'll fish from the rocks, or go down on the beaches and surf fish. Usually we catch surf perch with the occasional ling, dog shark, bat ray etc. I don't really target any one thing especially the last few years when catching anything beats the hell out of just sitting there lol. The reel I have now still works and I could probably go another couple of years with it but like I said it's mostly plastic or graphite, and I'm not in a huge rush either, I don't think I'll make it to the coast till late June early July. So that leaves me plenty of time to shop around, maybe come across a deal or two. Just looking for suggestions on good for the price reels.
Ne Desit Virtus

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:24 PM

I might add a suggestion here. When you are finished fishing for the day, completely back off the drag. A very lose drag will last forever when stored. I will get off the soap box now!! God, I would love to fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users