16 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

I decided to go out and fish off the rocks for rock fish or whatever might bite. I started with a 3 inch Big Hammer in Sexy smelt for Nada so I switched to a Bay smelt since it was partially white.(I like white and glow in the dark plastics at night) I managed to catch this little guy, hes about as big as the swimbait.

Posted Image

I then switched over to a 3 inch Kalin glow grub on a jig head with weed guards and caught my first sand bass. These guys are scrappy fighters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They went back to the drink and then a few casts later I had something a lot larger start peeling drag until it found a nook in the rocks and I couldn't get it out. I baited up again but things slowed down. I then started to see some fish on the surface so I tried a Kastmaster for a while but no takers. I didn't realize they closed the parking at 11pm so the local PD kindly asked me to leave and gave me some pointers on where I might try to find some more fish at this time of night. I decided to head out as I wasn't planning on being out so late but when your fishing time starts to warp and you loose track.

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Looks like fun. You mentioned you could see the fish on the surface, seems like the water is clear enough to bowfish there? Were you using a light? I have been wanting to find a place I could bowfish other than Lake Elsinore or Big Bear for Carp.
Hic Ego Statio

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hey Dave the fish that I saw where jumping on the surface. I assumed they where running from a predator or hunting something smaller. I didn't really see anything cruising by but I have heard of guys hunting rays and sharks with there bows in Malibu. You might check into that. I usually have a small headlamp on just so I can see where I am boulder hopping and to recharge my glow in the dark plastic baits.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

Cool thanks, I'll check it out. I've looked around here at Redondo, but the water isnt clear enough usually and too much surf.
Hic Ego Statio

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

That's fun fishing when you don't know what is going to be taking the bait, or lure in this case. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Absolutely John. Every time I have a big one break me off or spool me it makes me want to go out even more. You just never know whats lurking in the water. Once in Avila bay a buddy of mine and I were fishing off the pier and it was a strange night, just too quiet. We later found out we where not the only ones there. Apparently a great white was cruising the bay around the pier and was on the news that evening. It made the hair on our necks stand up.

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

When I fish in the ocean or bay, I am so stupid this country boy don't even know what the fish are called that he catches most of the time. Still enjoy it though.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I don't know the names of a ton of fish but it sure is a lot of fun to catch them. :signs165xk: There are many different places with many different fish. I caught some fish when I was in Costa Rica and didn't take pictures. I wish I had this was almost 5 years ago and I just recently learned what they are called. These where fun on 6 pound line with a kastmaster.Its called a Gaftop Sail Paompanohttp://www.oceanfoot..._clips/PS06_146http://www.mexfish.c...416/reeves2.jpg

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Now you found one that I have never seen before. Not sure I can read it's name right, much less pronounce it. Looks like it would be a good fighter with those big fins.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#10 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

Those are awesome to see swim by in a school of 50 to 100 down in Baja. I think they are one of the most interesting fish to see in a school.

#11 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

You might want to try looking at the DFG Finfish and Shellfish ID book. I just got one myself andits got tons of fish in it, all well drawn with half a page describing them, just look in the Fishing section on DFGs website. Its Free too.

#12 Emmo

Emmo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

sounds like you have some good luck, my brother and I are dying to find a good spot

#13 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

The top fish (silvery) is a queenfish and is a member of the croakier family.

It's always fun slinging artificial lures off the rock...you never know what's going to strike.

#14 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Whatever you do don't eat that top fish.

#15 jig-guy

jig-guy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

The bay fish & harbor fish are full of heavy metal, Catch Picture & release CPR works. On the way home buy a burger & frys and that will be a compliment to a great night out. I would be into fishing the bays for big rays at night (with CPR)they are big and pull hard, fun stuff.
jg / Bill

#16 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

That is a gass.
I remember when I was a kid, my father took me fishing
on a rock jetty, I think Balboa.
The water was clear, and we watched the fish.
Good memories with dad.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#17 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I dont eat anything out of there. But its a fun little spot at times when it isn't too crowded. Honestly I've been slinging steel more often then I have been angling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users