#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Striper Fishing is good right now. I have been going off the bank after work and getting a few. Water is so high I can not fish a lot of my spots from the bank. Raith is tearing them up out the boat. He has been booked solid and I have not been able to go with him. Maybe I will get a couple days off with the rain that is supposed to come and will be able to jump in the boat. This is a really good year so far. The high water has a lot of fish up here and it is cool enough to keep them here for a while. Biggest fish I have heard of is 50 lbs, so far. Took my girlfriend out last night off the bank and gave her a fast fishing lesson on using a bait casting real and turned her loose. She caught her First Striper all by her self with a little coaching on how to walk and real at the same time to keep the fish out of the trees. Any ways here is what we brought home for dinner.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Very nice! Now that looks like fun. Never done the striper thing yet, but looks like I will be this week at a local lake. Hope I can do half as good as you guys.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Nice fish she caught there Bennie. That's good eating size. Striper nuggets and striper in cocktail sauce. Hard to beat the taste of striper.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

They are my favorite fish to eat. I like to keep the males about 5 to 12 pounds for eating. I turn all the big ones loose to spawn. We even turn the big males loose now. We used to just turn the hens loose, but noticed that we were running out of big males about 10 years ago to breed the big hens so started turning them loose too. I just take a picture of the big ones any more and throw them back. I wish every one would turn the big ones loose. There definitely is not as many big fish as there used to be. Most people will never know the feeling of a 30 to 50 pound Striper on a small rod. What a rush!
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

She caught her First Striper all by her self with a little coaching on how to walk and real at the same time to keep the fish out of the trees. Any ways here is what we brought home for dinner.

She must be a very strong woman, you might tell her to *ease up* on the hook set. That will keep those stripers out of the trees. (just kidding ya'all) Great fishing and a great choise on the girl friend. Someone to go fishing with and maybe chew on one also with you. I always said, "My next girl friend is going to be blond, likes to fish and eat fish and drives a Jeep." That sounds simple, heh??

#6 SlobRay

SlobRay

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Love salmon and steelhead fishing in WA.<br />Need to get back into hunting, been away for a while, thanks to salmon and steelhead fishing.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Nice catch! Good job on the fish also, looks like fun. Ray

#7 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

The weather is warming up and the fish are biting nice to see you guys are pulling in fish. Striper fishing would be a load of fun. Another todo on my list of things.

#8 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

awesome job to you Bennie and your GF! Great job!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#9 PBM

PBM

Squirrel Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Cycle riding-got a Vstar 1100. My wife says I like to remodel our house.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Nice catches. Does anyone have a fish stretcher? All my stripers are about 17". Dang!

#10 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Caught a couple more today! Had to work for them. The river came up and the fish moved up a little. Got the day off because of rain. No better way to spend it than catching my favorite fish. These are the perfect eating size.Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,154 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Way to go Bennie for digging those two out! Those are the perfect eating size. I think the water is up due to that downpour we got Saturday. Wow, did it ever come through and pour. The hail wasn't fun either. :signs165xk:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

You sure keep slaying those critters. That's great. I ate Striper for the first time the other day and it is really tasty. Congrats on some more fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users