21 replies to this topic

#1 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

On a trip to Cedarville I used a 6'x6' shade canopy one time and had to destroy it to collapse it because I shot through one of the legs accidentally. Except for only being about 5' tall the canopy worked great after I staked it down with 4 of the big nail tent stakes. My umbrella was getting airborne and taking off for the next county every time there was a gust of wind so I soon tired of that.What are you guys using?

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

A large hat :signbs1zn:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I bought a 8'X8" easy up type cover from Dick's last week. It worked great.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#4 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

I already had a 12'x12' easy up shade canopy but I was by myself, can you imagine trying to put that thing up by yourself? plus it took up 3 times as much room as the 6'x6' shade canopy in the bed of the truck.I ended up using a hat and long sleeved shirt but my face, hands, and wrist got sunburned badly.

#5 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

...then there's trying to keep the rifle cool...

#6 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

no problems this time with the rifle getting too hot. it was windy and temps were generally never warmer than the low 60's

#7 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

here is the umbrella that RCBS makes for their shooting bench:

Posted Image

here is the 6x6' shade canopy:

Posted Image

#8 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

I use a 4" beach umbrella. i cut off the bottom on the pole and inserted 10 in spike. I do not attach it to the bench nor seat. a little wing and you're moving.

#9 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

When I went out last weekend I used a tarp tied between two vehicles. When I have a little time I will work on a DIY project for a one vehicle setup.

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

For my squeek shooting, I went to WalMart and bought one of these beach shade tents. It goes up in seconds, does a fairly good job of deflecting light to moderate winds and comes in a great olive drab color.

http://www.walmart.c...tem Description
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

In northern California, We have trees for shade.
Tom
(Smart ass)

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, but in SoCal we got the better weather and better beaches for watching the ladies trying get to get rid of their tan lines :wub:
We can plant trees if we wanted to, but good luck planting some of those up there :bleh[1]:

#13 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Wow Bob, I smell what you are cooking, but, how many times has your wife beat you when she catches you admiring the beautiful scenery?

#14 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Shoot from the shade of the truck or from under the truck with a short bipod. Or you can use a gillie suit. If all fails use plenty of sunscreen.

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nope, no wife Tom. I decided to bypass the divorce parties and losing much of everything I own (as is typically how marriages end in our family) :rofl2:
We really do place hunting on the highest of priorities in our family, way too high for many unfortunately. But I worked in the OC and drove through the "Beach Cities" every day for 10 years. All I can say is "Wow!!!" :drool:. Nothing like it anywhere for sure.

On a side note Tom, just to tell you how big hunting is in our family, My brother who has now been married for 15 years (the rare exception) was married in September. HOWEVER, his new bride had scheduled the wedding on the 1st of September :doh[1]: . That's right, opening day for dove season :yikes[1]: . Long story short, he told her that IF he did end up showing up, she better take lots of pictures so that our family can see what the wedding was like when we got back from the opener :rofl2: . She thought he was kidding until none of us RSVP'd. She was forced to move the wedding, with less than a month's notice, to September 16th , the day after the season ends so "He has no excuses for not being around on his anniversary". God's honest truth. So you can see why they don't last too long in our family. We know we put them through a ton of crap, and don't blame them for leaving :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: Not THAT'S what I'm talking about. LOL

I'm always telling friends & family, NO weddings, birthdays or funerals allowed during hunting season. Unfortunately (for me), they don't always ever listen. :angry:

#17 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I did the same thing on this marriage, Made sure there was no hunting open. My first marriage was on opening day of deer. I never realized it, but my ex was ok with it.

#18 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

I shot squeeks up here for 5 yrs without a shade. Lol course I am outside alot, must be the farmer tan that protects me. I just wear a ball cap or my cowboy ball cap ( Stetson Open Road). I got a red headed son, he uses sun screen. Shades are like cameras lol, don't spend money on them, would rather buy guns, bullets and powder. Ed

#19 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

When I went out last weekend I used a tarp tied between two vehicles. When I have a little time I will work on a DIY project for a one vehicle setup.

This is a picture of the tarp between two vehicles
Posted Image

This is a picture of my DIY project involving PVC pipe as tent poles, some twine/line as guy wires and 12 inch nails as tent stakes
Posted Image

#20 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hmmmmmm, that spot looks vaguely familiar........................................ :D . Obviously the wind wasn't blowing like the first time!!! And what's the matter, didn't you like going home looking like a lobster also :roflmao3[1]: . We need to set a day and do a little scouting a couple miles North of there B)

#21 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

The first work day after we went out I had multiple co-workers ask why I was so red. The picture was taken in the morning where there wasn't too much wind but both setup worked fine even in the wind though the middle did flap around a lot. I will probably add a pole in the middle to help with that. I'm thinking of also making a square frame at the top so it can become a stand alone unit rather than using the car. It will make it easier to move when the sun changes positions.

I also went to scout the area I thought may be good but when I got there, there was a fence so I couldn't go inside. This is the same spot that I had hiked about 3 miles in hellish terrain before I came across bunnies, quail and chukar. Unfortunately taking the easy way there is not an option unless I do more scouting in the area to see where the fencing ends. That and I need to check my BLM map to see if the fence is on private or public land since I thought it was public when I looked at it last.

#22 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Not sure of So. Cal. but up here there are fences on BLM and Forest Service ground. ED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users