#1 GFrank

GFrank

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Brewing beer

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi allFirst post here, Getting back into hunting after a 15 year hiatis ( family, kids, live in the city, etc ) My son is turning 8 and trips to the range just arnt cutting it anymore. So I sent for my Ruger M1 in Rem 7mm Mag thats been at my mothers house in Nebraska when I recieved it there was rust on thebarrel crown and a spot in the boar that would not come cleen. Took rifle to near by Bolsa Gun Shop to look at and as I suspected it coroded a bad spotin the boar.So to my question I need a new rifle, to rebarrel the M1 is over $650.00 and I wont put that much into a old single shot rifle.So first I need to decide wich caliber to get cryteria below1. Use Pigs, Yotes and Deer2. ammo availlability (Quality ammo since I dont reload)3. Range 100 to 600 yards ( is this out of the question)I origionaly went with the 7mm Mag couse it fit for all around use maby ill go the same way but dont want to overlook anything.Thanks for any advice/experiance George

#2 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

tikka 243..it shoots better than i do...glenn

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

I wouldn't just dismiss a gun before ever even shooting it. You would be amazed how well some of those old guns shoot even with pits and corrosion. A pit or corroded section of barrel is where it has erode simply meaning the bullet will not contact it in that particular area. It is not like a dent that that would constrict or deform the bullet. You still have a ton of barrel to support it on the way out. Think of it as a cracked sharpening stone: as long as the crack isn't raised, it will still work (maybe just not as well, or maybe the same). And as for the crown, you can easily do that yourself with a little research.Some rifles will shoot just fine with flawed barrels, and some won't. I would hate to see you just blow off a possibly good shooting rifle without even trying it first. Especially one that's been in the family.

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

I wouldn't just dismiss a gun before ever even shooting it. You would be amazed how well some of those old guns shoot even with pits and corrosion. A pit or corroded section of barrel is where it has erode simply meaning the bullet will not contact it in that particular area. It is not like a dent that that would constrict or deform the bullet. You still have a ton of barrel to support it on the way out. Think of it as a cracked sharpening stone: as long as the crack isn't raised, it will still work (maybe just not as well, or maybe the same). And as for the crown, you can easily do that yourself with a little research.Some rifles will shoot just fine with flawed barrels, and some won't. I would hate to see you just blow off a possibly good shooting rifle without even trying it first. Especially one that's been in the family.

Yeah, what he said. I wouldnt just write off that gun without shooting it first.But, if you want to buy a new gun, I'm not going to stop you haha.This comes up a lot on various forums, people looking for 1 gun to do it all, or at least a wider variety of game. I say any good Pig/Deer caliber can shoot a coyote. Not all good Coyote calibers are good for Pigs and Deer.I would suggest anything .243 or bigger, leaning more towards bigger
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Bisley & Dave are right on.... As Usual !Your 7 mag may be just fine. Test it out, as proof is ALWAYS in the pudding. Even then, re-crowning the barrel is a cheap fix. And thoroughly clean the barrel & then shoot it, as you just may be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, the ole "All Around", one do it all gun, American pie & cracker jacks is indeed alive & well... Unfortunately!I mean, does a golfer use just one club, a fisherman just one pole (including fresh & salt water), or a painter just one brush? Nor should the hunter with just one rifle IMO. I mean, it would be boring, not as much fun & probably not as effecient. HOWEVER, if you still decide you can no longer go through life without that new, all around rifle, I too would say the 243 as a minimum, going by your requirements. A 25/06, 270 win or wsm are a few other fine choices.Good LuckFrank

#6 GFrank

GFrank

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

You guys are correct I do need to take it to the range And test it out. It just made my head spin when he confirmed My suspicion of corrosion and its right on one of the rifling Cuts. Small 1/8" area about 3/4 of the way out. Still fun toShop for a new rifle. Thanks George

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'd say .30-06, .308 Win. or .270 Win. if you don't reload. Or even if you do. :D

#8 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

I think 30-06 would be a good choice and ammo will be pretty much any where.... :D

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

You guys are correct I do need to take it to the range And test it out. It just made my head spin when he confirmed My suspicion of corrosion and its right on one of the rifling Cuts. Small 1/8" area about 3/4 of the way out. Still fun toShop for a new rifle. Thanks George

Even if you do find out that your 7mm still shoots great, you may want to consider picking up a .223 or .22-250 for the smaller stuff. The one-gun-does-all is a nice marketing dream, as Frank pointed out, but you don't really want 1 gun for everything. And while your 7mm will do anything on this continent you want it to, you don't want to use 60+ grains of powder per round to take rabbits or coyotes with it when a .223 will do it with 25 or so grains. Personally, even as much as I love the .22-250 ballistics :D the .223 is just way, way more efficient for small stuff. And you still get to look for a new rifle :D

#10 GFrank

GFrank

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Bisley yes you are correct on the 223 I have 2 of them in AR platforms 16" & 24". My head was spinning from the bad news at the gun shop and was looking for a quick answerAfter some thought, sudjestions and reading this evening i came to the same conclusion why I bought the M1 in 7mm mag in the first place 15+years ago its a straight flying heavy hitter with lots of options for over the counter loads. Now to get to the range and test it ive cleaned the hell out of it I think I will test it once before repairing the crown if it shoots fairlyconsistant ill put a target crown on it and try again. Thanks all George

#11 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

hope it shoots true .as for the new gun i feel the 30-06 is kind of a waste go with the 308 ballistics are pretty similar but 308 ammo is usually alot cheaper .let us know how it shoots

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

If you handload or know someone that does, get a bore polishing kit and fire lap that barrel with the abrasive impregnated bullets.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users