#1 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Hi all,All you Remington 700 owners that have done some customization, I would like to upgrade the $5.50 stock on my SPS but not sure what's good and bad out there. I'm familiar with names like McMillain and H-S precision but they cost MEGA bucks down here, so if anybody can recommend something decent but more affordable please let me know. If you have pics of your setup even better.The rifle is a .204 Model 700 SPS with sporter profile barrel and hinged floor plate magazine. I love the rifle but it deserves a better stock.Thanks, Oz

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

I havent changed mine yet, but Ive heard great things about the Bell and Carlson Alaskan2 stock, its light and has a CNC machined aluminum bedding block in it. Guys I have talked to say that for to $220 price is hard to compete with. I plan on replacing mine soon. Check out Stocky's Stocks.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

Well, not gonna be much help on this one, oz, as friends & I only put H.S. Precision on our 700's, including 3 or 4(?) SPS's.McMillian is indeed another good one as is some others that I can't think of right now. And remember, one normally gets what they pay for... the cheapest seldom ends up being the cheapest in other words. Good Luck in Your DecisionFrank

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

If you are handy with tools, this Company may be of help to you. They have some very good prices. Of course, I have no idea what the shipping to "OZ land" would be!http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Good luck, Murph.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:41 PM

I've used Boyds and they make a good stock. Takes some work but you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.EDIT: I was thinking of the Richards Microfit Stocks. Sorry.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#6 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

If you are handy with tools, this Company may be of help to you. They have some very good prices. Of course, I have no idea what the shipping to "OZ land" would be!http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Good luck, Murph.

Far out.. they are even way cheaper than I was planning to spend! Thanks Murph. Now I know the 700 BDL short action is what I'll be needing.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

You're not going to have a problem finding an after market replacement stock for your Model 700. For drop-in stock that doesn't require bedding, you have a choice between a Bell and Carlson or an HS Precision. You can also order a McMillan or an MPI but they requires some fitting and bedding. Another option is using a laminated stock. You can order one from either Richard Microfit or Boyds. They're great stocks and they can be as stable as a fiberglass or a synthetic, if finish correctly.Here's my Remington 700 chambered for 6,5-284 Norma. I epoxied and pillar bed the stock and then applied several coats of Polyurethane finish. The stock is impervious to moisture or water.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

Very much appreciated Desert Fox. The information and pics have made the decision much easier. Very nice rifle by the way.. looks like I'll be going laminate. Had a look at the Boyd's and Richard Microfit stocks and the choice is narrowed down to those two. Will sleep on it and make an order in the morning :D

#9 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:56 AM

you would be better off going with boyds....believe me..glenn

#10 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

After a nights sleep on it decided on the Boyd's Ross Featherlite laminate. Too easy :)Thanks everybody for your input.. it definitely saved me blowing a heap of cash.

#11 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

10 days from leaving the USA, the Boyds FT Thumb hole laminate arrived at the door and 10 minutes later it was fitted to the Remington 700. The Forest camo sure does turn the ugly duckling SPS into a swan. The fit was perfect, dropped straight in just like the advertising said, the barrel fully floats and the bolt cycles without the need for any tweaking.Come some decent weather I'll go test shoot it this afternoon.. Posted Image

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sure does look good, that's for sure. Hopefully, it shoots as good as it looks.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Looks great!

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Very nice! Much better than the plastic stock. I hope she shoots good too.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yep, very nice, oz... I had one exactly like that only in different color on my 204 Remmy 700. Was very accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it.Frank

#16 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

Thanks folks..Put some rounds through this evening to check the zero and 5 shots using factory 32gr, V-max was 14.7mm (0.57").Hand loads should a little better but I'll worry about that once the factory stuff runs out. That's a two dollar coin.. you learn not to loose the little gold ones to often.. :(Posted Image

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

That is a nice group. It's good to see that the new stock didn't reduce the guns accuracy. It is probably a whole lot more comfortable to shoot now too.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#18 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:47 AM

Took it out for a quick bunny shoot this evening and for those prone shots from awkward positions it's so much more stable and natural than the old plastic stock.. Great design and big thanks to the members who recommended I give Boyds a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users