• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 killerdan

killerdan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I love to fish and hunt, I am going to make it my goal to get back into hunting this year.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am on a budget. I would like to know from you guys that use a GPS when you hunt. What would be the best hand held GPS you would recommend to buy for around $250.00, that is simple and easy to use. I will use it most of the time on my ATV when I hunt. I also would like to mark spots that I predator call from and places that I spot turkeys.The only GPS that I have used is a Garmin on my boat that I sold 4 years ago.

#2 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

I use a Garmin summit HC for hunting and geocaching it works great for me....

#3 edgreeson65

edgreeson65

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

I use my Garmin Rino for hunting & geocaching, like it because it is a radio also plus you can see where your hunting buddies are on your screen

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

For $250, you're not going to get much in the way of bells and whistles, and that sounds like what you want. The Etrex line is a good line to start your search at. I've got a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx, and it does some awesome things. Loaded with city map software it's also a turn by turn navigation unit if I need it to be. But, with all that it was closer to $600 a few years ago.

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Try Earthmate pn30, I have the pn 20 and like it a lot. It may cost about 60$ more, then again You might be able to find a deal on them somewhere.

#6 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Garmin GPSMAP 60csx

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ditto, Garmin 60CSX. See Cabelas link and for $250.00.I use mine for all activities, hiking, fishing, car w/driving auto routing plus I have a dedicated Garmin Nuvi car unit. Get good software programs some are free, check the CPC forums.. I have mapsource & topo maps preloaded on cards for my GPS.http://www.cabelas.c...r:referralID=NA

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

If you can find it cheap the eTrex Vista® HCx. Or the eTrex 30. I lean more towards garmin because I know how to hack their maps and units. I also have allot (Most) of their maps. Otherwise for a little more money I would consider of the Delrome PN serries. If you really wanta go all out ... the Earthmate PN-60w SE with SPOT Satellite Communicator, and get one or both the subscription products.

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

You cant beat the maps on the Earthmate that is for sure.

#10 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color GPS and for $160 it has worked great for me on hunting trips. To be honest, I can't see any difference between mine and my buddies $300 GPS. I prefer a paper map and compass, but GPS is very handy for sure for marking waypoints quickly while hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users