• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 killerdan

killerdan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I love to fish and hunt, I am going to make it my goal to get back into hunting this year.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am on a budget. I would like to know from you guys that use a GPS when you hunt. What would be the best hand held GPS you would recommend to buy for around $250.00, that is simple and easy to use. I will use it most of the time on my ATV when I hunt. I also would like to mark spots that I predator call from and places that I spot turkeys.The only GPS that I have used is a Garmin on my boat that I sold 4 years ago.

#2 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

I use a Garmin summit HC for hunting and geocaching it works great for me....

#3 edgreeson65

edgreeson65

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

I use my Garmin Rino for hunting & geocaching, like it because it is a radio also plus you can see where your hunting buddies are on your screen

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

For $250, you're not going to get much in the way of bells and whistles, and that sounds like what you want. The Etrex line is a good line to start your search at. I've got a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx, and it does some awesome things. Loaded with city map software it's also a turn by turn navigation unit if I need it to be. But, with all that it was closer to $600 a few years ago.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Try Earthmate pn30, I have the pn 20 and like it a lot. It may cost about 60$ more, then again You might be able to find a deal on them somewhere.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#6 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Garmin GPSMAP 60csx

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ditto, Garmin 60CSX. See Cabelas link and for $250.00.I use mine for all activities, hiking, fishing, car w/driving auto routing plus I have a dedicated Garmin Nuvi car unit. Get good software programs some are free, check the CPC forums.. I have mapsource & topo maps preloaded on cards for my GPS.http://www.cabelas.c...r:referralID=NA

#8 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

If you can find it cheap the eTrex Vista® HCx. Or the eTrex 30. I lean more towards garmin because I know how to hack their maps and units. I also have allot (Most) of their maps. Otherwise for a little more money I would consider of the Delrome PN serries. If you really wanta go all out ... the Earthmate PN-60w SE with SPOT Satellite Communicator, and get one or both the subscription products.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

You cant beat the maps on the Earthmate that is for sure.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Color GPS and for $160 it has worked great for me on hunting trips. To be honest, I can't see any difference between mine and my buddies $300 GPS. I prefer a paper map and compass, but GPS is very handy for sure for marking waypoints quickly while hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users